Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HoosierHandyman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 09:17 AM
    18" bifold doors
    Where can I find some of these bad boys? Each door panel is appx 9". Specifically looking for unfinished, full louvered that we will stain and poly to replace existing nasty painted ones in a small condo.
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Mar 25, 2009, 10:19 AM
    36" openning, could you just use a set for a 36" door (2 18" panels) and have it open to one side, or remove the hinges for an 18" door opening and hinge it to one side of the door opening?

If you absolutely need 9" panels, probably any home center or lumber yard could order them for you.

If time is of the essence, get a 24" door set, which is 2 12" panels. Rip one side of the door on a table saw to remove the side stile. The slats are free floating and will slide right out. Cut them down with a miter saw. The top, middle and bottom pieces can be trimmed to the correct length using a skill saw or jig saw. Place the pieces back together and use wood screws and glue for the stile you had removed to re secure it to the rest of the door assembly. Predrill a hole large enough in diameter to get the screw head sunk about 1/4" below the surface of the style. Use glue and a wood plug to cover the screw location and sand smooth. Time wise, it's not too bad of a project, couple hours for a couple of doors, whereas who knows how ong an order will take. If you do it that way, you can even sand and finish each louver piece individually.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hanging bifold doors [ 4 Answers ]

Since bifold doors do not come pre-hung, what size wood is best needed to create a finished door opening?

Bifold doors and width of opening [ 6 Answers ]

I recently put in a bifold on a laundry/closet. The opening was exact = 36". It was pretty darn hard trying to get the bifold door to fit even though the directions called for that size. It was and is very tight. Now I'm ready to do the same thing on two recently built clothes closets. The...

Bifold doors for 9 foot opening [ 2 Answers ]

I am toying with the idea of installing bifold doors in an opening that presently has sliding doors. The problem is that the width of the opening is 9 feet. Four 27" doors won't work because they'll protude too far into the room when closed. Is there hardware available to hang 6 doors, 3 on each...

BiFold Closet Door - Need source for one with 9" Panels [ 2 Answers ]

I'm using a small space in my house to make a small closet. There is only enough width to have a 36" door opening. I would like to use a pair of bifold doors. Each door would have two panels, each 9" wide (4 x 9" = 36"). I'm looking for the type with louvers on the top and solid on the bottom to...

Arctic monkeys song " Red light incicates doors are secure" [ 1 Answers ]

What is this song about?

View more questions Search