Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steve09 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 07:17 AM
    Warped sliding glass door frame causes door to stick.
    The center of our 8 foot sliding glass door bends out about 3/8 inch more than the two ends causing the door to wedge against trim that keeps the door from falling out when the door is closed making it difficult to open the door. How do I get the center of the door frame into place so the door will slide easy?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2009, 07:59 AM

Hi Steve09
    What is door made of =wood,aluminum,vinyl? If u can post a picture would help a lot.

Good luck

Chuck

Mar 25, 2009, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Hi Steve09
    What is door made of =wood,aluminum,vinyl? If u can post a picture would help a lot.

Good luck

Chuck
    Thanks for responding so quickly. The door is made of vinyl. It is a standard 8' Anderson sliding glass door. I believe it was put in 20 years ago. It has always been kind of difficult to open and close but has really gotten bad in the last few months. I'm afraid I don't have any way of posting a picture. There is a screw right at the spot where the door slightly warps that secures the door to the header. I'm not sure if there is a screw at the same spot on the floor. I was going to try to remove the screw(s) a see if I could pry the door frame over a bit and then rescrew it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2009, 08:57 PM

Hi Steve

Is the problem at top from left to right or from top of door to bottom at jamb side? If it is at top left to right, u will have to remove stationary door to remove screws into header.
    This will let u aline the header. Use a string set same distance out from header at each end of opening. When setting center screw have the measurement to string same as ends. Hope this helps.

Good luck

Chuck

Mar 26, 2009, 04:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Hi Steve

Is the problem at top from left to right or from top of door to bottom at jamb side? If it is at top left to right, u will have to remove stationary door to remove screws into header.
    This will let u aline the header. Use a string set same distance out from header at each end of opening. When setting center screw have the measurement to string same as ends. Hope this helps.

Good luck

Chuck
    Thanks Chuck. It's a big help. I believe the problem is only at the top at the center and not at the jamb. I guess I'll see with I get the doors off. I was wondering if I was going to have to remove the stationary door to get at the header screws. Using a string to help center the frame is a good idea to.

Thanks again,

Steve
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 06:55 AM

Hi Steve

Glad I could be of help. Lets us know how u make out.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lubricate Sliding Glass Door [ 6 Answers ]

Our sliding glass door to the backyard has become more difficult to open and I'm wondering what can be done, if some type of lubricant is supposed to be used or does it need some repair to the metal track or the door itself. Any suggestions/resources are appreciated.

Sliding Glass Door Leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the place to ask the question or get the answer. My sliding glass door attached to an upper deck leaks and water comes in on the bottom track. I need professional help to have this corrected. It has damaged my wood floors and the inside of the molding too. What should...

Sliding glass door stuck [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone have any good tips on getting a sliding glass door open? It is a Pella, it's most likely around 15 years old, it's still in great shape. The problem is that, the latch has broken in the locked position, I have tried sticking a srewdriver in the hole and turning the latch, no luck....

Sliding glass door [ 2 Answers ]

My sliding glass door to the patio, after your lock it and check it, moves a little bit to the left. It is still locked, but it moves. Is this normal and safe?

Sliding glass door [ 1 Answers ]

I need basic instructions for installing a sliding glass door. Irene

View more questions Search