Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zcui Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 09:40 PM
    Whirlpool Refrigerator not cool, not work properly
    I have a Whirlpool Refrigerator Model: ED25RFXFW01, Serial: SJ2958667, Date: 07/1999. Two weeks ago, It stopped working and all foods in the freezer were melted. By adjusting both the freezer and refrigerator cold control, it started work again when I set the freezer to C (it has Warmer - A - B - C - Colder), and refrigerator at 5 (it has Warmer - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - Colder - 0 Off). The freezer is ice cold, but the refrigerator was kind of warm. I checked the vent inside the refrigerator, and air circulation seemed fine. It worked about 5 days although the temperature in the refrigerator side is warmer than before, then the freezer melted again.

I called a technician guy. However, the refrigerator was working fine when he came. He checked defrost timer, compressor, defrost heater, both evaporator and condenser fans running well... every thing seemed fine. He could not locate the problem, so he left with $40 service charge.

Then 4 days later, i.e. yesterday, the freezer melted again in the evening. I turned the defrost timer until heard a click. Then, the refrigerator started again about 20 - 30 minutes later, and a cup of water became ice later. I noticed the defrost timer is turning. This morning the refrigerator stopped and the temperature inside seemed fine. This evening after work, I found the refrigerator stopped, and it took 1.5 hour to start again by itself. I noticed that when it is running in the cool mode, it never paused a little while. I am not sure it is because the temperature inside is not reaching what it set, or something else. However, if I manually adjust the refrigerator temperature control toward warmer, it can stop. Also, it seems taking too long to defrost and too long to run continually in cold mode.

What could cause the problem? Defrost timer? Defrost thermostat? Freezer cold control? Refrigerator cold control? Or something else?

Thanks for help
    zcui Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 10:04 PM

Also, I measured the defrost thermostat, it seems fine. When in the room temperature, it reads infinity, and when it attached to the frosted evaperator, it reads about 0.06 ohm. The compressor current is 2.56 - 2.60 Am when it running.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 27, 2009, 03:21 AM
    Sounds like the defrost system is causing the problem. When I service this problem I replace the defrost timmer,heater and bi metal/defrost termination thermostat all at one time to prevent future problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refrigerator will not cool [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Maytag side-by-side Refrigerator and initially the fridge stopped cooling. Unfortunately an unethical repair man noted that the defrost timer was faulty and I paid him for the repair. He will not honor his warranty and I'm trying to recoup the funds that I paid via small...

Refrigerator does NOT cool [ 13 Answers ]

Model # GE Profile TFM22PRDA WW Side by Side Refrigerator does NOT cool. The rear of the freezer compartment has about 2 incnes of ice/snow. I removed the ice/snow but the refrigerator does not seem to be cooling at all. Thanks

Refrigerator not cooling properly [ 2 Answers ]

I have a frost free refrigerator with the freezer at the top. The freezer does not freeze but does get cold. Ice will build up on the back. The bottom does not get cold at all. I did turn if off and uplug it for over 24 hours. A lot of water came out. I took off the rack on the bottom front and...

Refrigerator will not cool to 37 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old side by side Maytag and cannot get the frig to cool to 37. Best it will cool is 45. The freezer is at 0. I have defrosted the evaporator and there was frost but it was not to the point to restrict air flow. The evaporator fan seems to run okay with no noise but I tried...

View more questions Search