Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigtoe2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 06:55 PM
    Which wires should I use on my new thermostat?
    I had a Carrier builders non prog thermostat which controls my AC-heat (and air exchange) - The wires hooked in it were white in W, Yellow in Y, Green in G, Red in R and black in C. The orange and blue wires were not used.
    I purchased a Honeywell RTH4300B. I switch off the main breaker and started to hook it up. The Yellow in Y, the White in W, the Green in G, the Red in R. but now , there is no C. There are only O, B and RC. After puttting the power back on, and the 2 AA batteries ( I waited a good 5 minutes between each of the 3 black wire hook ups) , I tried to plug the black wire in all 3 one after the other, but nothing happens... no heat, no cool, no fan.. I am wondering if this thermostat is OK or the right one.
    In some cased it tells me not to hook up the black wire (which used to be on C on my old thermostat.

Perhaps I need to reset my electric Carrier furnace??

Help
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 07:03 PM

Is your Carrier a electric furnace or a heat pump, this stat won't work on heat pumps.
    bigtoe2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 07:14 PM

Thanks for your help. I have a carrier electric furnace. It is not a heat pump. I also have a Carrier AC and a Venmar air exchanger.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it OK to have 2 wires in one leg for the thermostat [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, This is how my technician wired my thermostat for heating and cooling: My technician used a short strip of white wire to wire from white leg to yellow leg. The white wire is not from the wall but he just stripped a piece to have enough To wire from white leg to yellow leg. The...

3 wires for thermostat [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a honeywell ct8775c1005 thermostat model to replace an old 1970's thermostat. HOwever, there are three wires that connected the old one that controlled heating and air conditioning and the fan. I tried connected the new one and it worked for heating, but NOT AC. I connected the red...

Thermostat Wires - Only 2 Wires (both black) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm switching my thermostat for a newer digital one, though when I took out the old thermostat, there were only 2 black wires with white stripes on them. The new thermostat calls for an RH wire and a W wire, but I have no way of distinguishing the two apart. How can I tell which wire...

Thermostat wires [ 4 Answers ]

Our new puppy pulled the thermostat wires loose from the outside air conditioning unit. No damage to any wires, but I need to know which wire goes to which. From the inside, the wires are blue and yellow. The outside unit has brown and blue. Which to which?

View more questions Search