Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallay83 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 05:44 PM
    How to rough-in a toilet and 4 fixtures?
    Hello,

Installing a new bathroom on the second floor of my house. Can someone please read this description and see if it sounds OK? Thanks.

Description of flow:
    The toilet will have a 6ft. Horizontal run of 3" pipe from the flange to a 90` elbow (This elbow has a 2" heel out for 3 fixtures and vent above it). Then the 3" pipe drops for 8 ft. into a 90` long sweep elbow. Out of the elbow it will run 10ft. horizontal into the the main 4" stack.

The three fixtures will drain into the Heel elbow (above it). I plan to wet vent through the 2" line which drains a tub and shower. This will make its way trough the roof.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 09:21 PM
    Tallay83: Your plan sounds fine with me. I just don't understand the 3"x 2" fitting that will accept all fixtures at the same level + will vent the toilet...

I drew sketch showing how I would propose to install it. You are not stating where you are located. I work under UPC which is more strict than rest of the country. I am sure other experts will comment on it later and that they will add their opinion as well.

The bottom long sweep 90 should be "comby" fitting ( or 3" Y + 45 degree turn) and should have Clean out on outside outlet. If your project is not inspected ( and sometimes even when it is inspected ), you can get away with 6' of 3" toilet run w/o vent. (Code calls for 5' max... ).

Here is the sketch...
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 25, 2009, 04:03 AM
    Hi Tally:

You said, "The three fixtures will drain into the Heel elbow (above it)". Here, you need to check with a local plumbing inspector to see if this HEEL INLET FITTING is a LEGAL FITTING. They aren't legal in my area... for years now! Let us know... OK?

MARK

Mar 25, 2009, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Tallay83: Your plan sounds fine with me. I just don't understand the 3"x 2" fitting that will accept all fixtures at the same level + will vent the toilet....

I drew sketch showing how I would propose to install it. You are not stating where you are located. I work under UPC which is more strict than rest of the country. I am sure other experts will comment on it later and that they will add their opinion as well.

The bottom long sweep 90 should be "comby" fitting ( or 3" Y + 45 degree turn) and should have Clean out on outside outlet. If your project is not inspected ( and sometimes even when it is inspected ), you can get away with 6' of 3" toilet run w/o vent. (Code calls for 5' max .....).

Here is the sketch....
    Thanks Milo, Your sketch helped me a lot. I didn't think of draining the toilet above the double WYE as you sketched. I was using a 3" elbow with a 2" heel and using the heel portion for draining the fixture. How did you get the shetch in their? I tried Word and Paint and the files where too large.

Mar 25, 2009, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tallay83 View Post
    Thanks Milo, Your sketch helped me alot. I didn't think of draining the toliet above the double WYE as you sketched. I was using a 3" elbow with a 2" heel and using the heel portion for draining the fixture. How did you get the shetch in their? I tried Word and Paint and the files where too large.
    I am in New Jersey.

Mar 25, 2009, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Tally:

You said, "The three fixtures will drain into the Heel elbow (above it)". Here, you need to check with a local plumbing inspector to see if this HEEL INLET FITTING is a LEGAL FITTING. They aren't legal in my area...for years now!! Let us know...OK?

MARK
    Thank you. I will check with the town today. I am in north NJ.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 25, 2009, 07:45 AM

OK, now it is clear to me. If you plan on having it inspected, you should do as Mark said. Call you Inspector and ask him about your proposed installation. Just like in Mark's area, I could not utilize this fitting in my region of operation, either.

This particular sketch was drawn in Word and converted to JPG in Photoshop. Yes, BMP and TIFF files are too big to post. If you run Windows, you can use the simpliest version of MGI program which is great for doing basic sketches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet rough in [ 9 Answers ]

I live in a old house. The original rough in is 14 inches. I am finding it is very hard to find a toilet to meet the new space I have for a toilet. Can I replace a 14 inch rough in toilet with a 12 inch rough in without changing any plumbing? Thank you for the response back.

Toilet rough-in [ 5 Answers ]

How far from the roughin wall to center line of waste should I set the toilet?

How do I replace a 10in rough in toilet with a 12in toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I have new 12in one piece toilet that I need to fit in a 10in rough in space.

Need to replace toilet, rough-in 20" from the wall, toilet has four mounting holes [ 3 Answers ]

In a nutshell, we need to replace our existing toilet. However, the toilet has a rough-in of about 20"+ to the closet flange and the toilet has four mounting holes on the base. The toilet is connected to the closet flange via the front two holes (and nothing in the back two holes). I bought the...

Fixtures at wall water line to toilet [ 15 Answers ]

The flexible hose that connects the water line to the toilet tank broke. It is soldered on to the T-connector, making its replacement a little difficult. I turned off water to toilet and the main water line and started to loosen the T-connector nut to no avail. I then tried to loosen the nut that...

View more questions Search