Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 25, 2009, 05:11 PM
    Hi all:

Drumtraps are allowed in Maine for every fixture, and believe it or not... no vents required if within 10 feet of the vent stack (top floor)... just the way it is up there! The 18" to 24" standpipe is also part of their code.

I know the 18"-24" standpipe drives you and Bob crazy, Tom, but I'm telling you that it works all over where I live. In my area the code says I can run 1.5" pipe with standpipe between 18" and 30"....and I promise you...all the drains work fine!!

Not to get into this too heavy, but I am telling everyone that questions this ever again, that even the fancy newer machines work on an 1.5" drain line with an 18" standpipe. If they don't then it is only because the drain line is clogged by some kind of build up.

I have installed whirlpools, neptunes, all the newer models and not an issue. I keep hearing that some codes want to bump the requirement up to a 3" drain/trap...but yet to see it in writing..anywhere!!

I have had problems with 1.5" drains with 18" standpipes, but when I finally cut the pipe at the cast iron stack (I have never had an issue on PVC pipe) I found a sediment deposit that had to be removed by hammer and screwdriver. After I cleaned all up and installed new fittings all was fine.

Mygirlsdad pointed out fact that cutting the pipe down to 18" probably won't help here much anyway... so swerty2 needs to extend the hose no matter what I think.

I will continue to recommend piping in 2" drain pipe as I think it makes sense (with 30" standpipe)....but code and my experience demonstrate that 1.5" is OK... just that I also agree that 2" is better is all.

Just mentioning facts guys... :)

MARK
    swerty2_04005 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 02:56 AM

You guys have been so great!! Thank you so much. I am surprised you found a 12ft. Hose, our local appliance repair place said 8ft. Was the longest. Again thank you so much. You saved us from what could have a messy, expensive situation. Sarah

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drainage soil pipe & west pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Can you tell me. What is the slop require for soil pipe & west pipe running in the building Thanks.

Need washer drain pipe installed, now washer stand pipe is backing up. [ 3 Answers ]

I've had to route my washer drain out of my septic system (drain fields are bad). In the house crawl space the washer pipe 2" pvc came through the floor one bend (elbow) and 3' of travel to the septic cast iron pipe down to the septic tank. I cut into the pvc just past the elbow (maybe 2' past)...

Washer drainage pipe problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently moved into a house(not new) and put in a washing machine. I have noticed( not like it is hard to miss) that the water very quickly begins backing up out of the drainage pipe and over flows, soaking the dry wall and floor. I believe there was something in the pipe causing a blockage...

View more questions Search