Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ranleigh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 01:10 PM
    Room in nursing home.
    My mother is going to a nursing home & is unable to make the decision,double room or private room.3 of her children are for a double room & 3 are for a private room.How do we resolve this issue?Thanks much!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 01:31 PM

If your mom likes company, go for the double.

My mom is solitary kind of person who is quiet and likes to read or do puzzles. When she was in a nursing home for rehab, she really disliked the constant coming and going of her roommate and her guests.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 01:45 PM

My Mom is in a nursing home and she does not enjoy sharing a room.

She has had various roommates and a few were quite talkative and loud.One woman would sleep all day and then have the TV on loud at night so I would opt for private.

If she wants to socialize there are many opportunities throughout the day for her to do so.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 01:59 PM

Who is footing the bill? That is the decision maker in this situation. If you folks can afford it go with private. Older folks don't fare too well with room mates.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 03:02 PM

How many times has the room mate notified the staff when something was wrong with the other person, and couldn't do the notification themselves? It happened quite often with my mother and her fellow residents. The staff can't always respond instantly partly because they get called for so many routine matters, and many times elderly people can't call due to confusion or inability. That fact has to be considered but there is plenty of argument for the private setting. I would guesstimate that the chances of getting a bothersome room mate are better than 50% if not right off, probably later. Maybe she could start with private and go to semi later if warranted based on health status.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I set up a Nursing Home Care Agency using my own home in the UK? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I set up a Nursing Home Care Agency using my own home in the UK?

Nursing home parent and old credit [ 2 Answers ]

My mother is almost 97 years old and has been in a nursing home for a year now, with multiple health issues and slowly advancing senility. During the last few years that she had somewhat confused control of her own finances (before my sister took over bank accounts, bill paying, etc.), there were...

Nursing home [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My sister called me last night and said that she was thinking about putting my father in a nursing home.she said that she went to a meeting that the speaker said that if one of the spouses goes to a nursing home the other spouse could keep up to 60,000 dollars , anything above that in bank...

Nursing Home Resident needs help [ 12 Answers ]

Hello everybody, I hope you all can help me. I'm a nursing home administrator in Texas. One of my residents was recently turned down by Medicaid because his bank statements showed he had, at one point in the near past, too much money in his bank account. When I researched the issue, I found...

When can Calif. Step in and put mom in nursing home? [ 2 Answers ]

My mom lives in California. Dad passed away three years ago and it is just my sister and I and mom. I live in Wyoming, my sister in CA. My mom has my sister at her becken call and won't allow her to have a life with her son. Mom is very abusive to my sister and my sister is always calling us to...

View more questions Search