Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tlll Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 12:30 PM
    1 Spouse on F1 to H1B and the other one on F1 – how to submit as full-year residents?
    Dear tax experts,

On OPT in 2007, then on F1 student visa until 09/30/09 and on H1B visa from 10/01/08.

I got married on 10/18/08. My wife was on OPT/F1 visa in 2008 and she is still on that visa.

She is expecting a refund as a nonresident and I owe taxes. I left the country for 2 weeks in January on vacation. Can we use first year choice and submit as married filing jointly (residents for the whole year)?

If yes, what’s the best choice:

1. Each of us submits for extension (2 separate forms) and then when I meet SPT, we submit as married filing jointly (residents for the whole year)

2. or together we submit for extension (1 form) and then when I meet SPT, we submit as married filing jointly (residents for the whole year).

3. or she submits as nonresident alien and I submit for extension (pay the taxes I owe). After I meet the substantial presence test (SPT), we submit an amended return (residents for the whole year)

For SPT, is it important that I was absent from the country for 2 weeks? (Or I just wait a little bit longer in '09)

Please advise.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 12:40 PM

File extensions for both of you.
    2 weeks absence in 2009, will extend your wait for filing.

Mar 24, 2009, 01:24 PM
    Thanks so much, MukatA!

Do we need to submit our state taxes by Apr 15 as married filing jointly (residents for the whole year)?

Mar 27, 2009, 08:41 AM
    Can you please advise me regarding my return for state taxes? Should I submit as whole-year residents married filing jointly now or wait and submit at the same time I do my tax return?"
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2009, 10:19 AM

You can file state return. If you live in a state, you are resident of the state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse part year state resident, me full year [ 1 Answers ]

My husband retired from the military June 1, 2008. His entire career he was a NH resident. For the 3 years we were married prior to hi retirement, we filed married filing separately because I have always been a MA resident. He switched his residence July 2008 and we are now wondering how to...

Can 83 year old have full dentures? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 83 years old. Most of my teeth have gone. Can I go in for full dentures at this age?

Full year resident alien part year treaty [ 1 Answers ]

My country has a tax treaty with US. I came on J1 visa in September 2005 and got the benefit of the tax treaty till August 2007. And since September 2007 my taxes are being with held. I am considered as full year resident alien since Januarary 2007. Which tax form I need to fill up and where to...

Spouse full time residents in separate states : states taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I got married in Dec 2006. He was a full time CA resident in 2006 and still lives there and got income only from CA. I was a fulltime Kentucky resident in 2006 and still live here and got my income only from KY. We can file federal taxes jointly. But what do we do for state...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

View more questions Search