Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GNL685 Posts: 170, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 24, 2009, 12:14 PM
    Giant moth/butterfly?
    I was sitting in my room one day reading a book and I looked up and there was a moth on my doorway it started flying around and each wing was the size of my hand! It was pretty cool looking one side of the wings was grey like a regular old moth and the inside of the wings were black and orange just like a monarch. The wing span was at least 7 inches when they were open and I mean At least. I could see the body clear as day it was very fuzzy!Also I live in Massachusetts if that helps
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2009, 02:12 PM

Hi, GNL685!

Perhaps it might look like some of those that you'll find on the following image searches?

Giant Moth - Google Image Search

Giant Moth Black Orange - Google Image Search

I'm just trying to get a start here in figuring out what kind of moth it might have been.

Thanks!
    -

Mar 24, 2009, 03:51 PM

The outside of the wings looked like the one in the first link.. I think it may be the same kind and the lady who owns the website said it was bigger than her hand .but it had "eyes" on the back of the wings.. I wish I could see the other side of the wings.. the other side of the wings looked like the butterfly in the second link it had the same pattern it was so pretty! The body was fuzzy and I could see it's eyes perfectly..
    http://afancifultwist.typepad.com/a_...3/magic_33.jpg

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com/.s...magic_35_2.jpg
    -

Mar 24, 2009, 04:07 PM

Maybe its mom was a moth and its dad was a butterfly haha
    -

Mar 24, 2009, 04:09 PM
    I just found a perfect example that jogged my memory even more.. it had all these designs on the wings and it looked like it had a face that pic creeps me out because aside from all the colors that is what it looked like pretty much exactly

http://www.purplemoon.com/Stickers/butterfly-kk2.jpg
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2010, 12:14 PM
    Just so people know who still post on this thread...

It's now very old and archived, so it's no longer visible as a currently active thread.

Plus, the original poster appears to have been banned and hasn't responded on this thread in over a year.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Giant moth/butterfly? [ 4 Answers ]

I was sitting in my room one day reading a book and I looked up and there was a moth on my doorway it started flying around and each wing was the size of my hand! It was pretty cool looking one side of the wings was grey like a moth and the inside of the wings were black and orange just like a...

Spruce bud moth? [ 16 Answers ]

Is there anyone that can identify a moth? I have good photo's of it. This moth is about 35 miles south of Great Falls, Montana. The web is literally covering every tree on our property.. 20 acres as well as everywhere I look. Even across the river in the National Forest. I think it may be the...

Moth like bugs in cupboard [ 2 Answers ]

I have small moths in my cupboard. They have infested my walnuts with a web like nest? Every time I open my spice cupboard these moths fly out. How can I get rid of them and keep my cabinets bug free?

(Joke): Have you ever smelled moth balls before? [ 5 Answers ]

Me: "Have you ever smelled moth balls before? Friend: "I have and it's horrible!" Me: "How in the world did you get your nose between their tiny legs?":p

How to sooth a 6 moth old teething [ 6 Answers ]

My son is 6 months old and is having a horrible time with teething. He's his nornal happy, smilling and giggling self, but when his teeth start to hurt he does this whimpering thing and then cries if I don't hold him right away. I feel horrible because all I know what to do is to hold him, give...

View more questions Search