Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chaibaba Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Kitchen sink.no water
    Turning faucet far to right (butting up against non-functioning sprayer) resulted in zero water now coming through faucet (hot or cold) regardless of position of faucet. Any idea what would cause this and how to fix?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 12:37 PM

Chance are that you have dirt on the Aerator. Remove Aerator, run water w/o it for few seconds, clean aerator and reinstall. See if that helped...

Mar 24, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Thanks for replying, Milo, but I had already removed the aerator. When I take the spout off, I see water flowing up from the center core (like from a spring in a pool). Then when I put the spout back, water flows from the spout in a fast trickle. Its like the water pressure is almost zero.
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 04:09 PM

Ok, what kind/type/brand of faucet do you have ? Is it a single column pull-out spout attached to a hose ? If not sure, can you post a photo of it ?

Mar 24, 2009, 08:45 PM
    Milo,
    Here's a photo of my faucet, complete with dirty dishes :)
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the photo ! Appreciate it...

Ok, there is a diverter device inside faucet column. I suspect it has something to do with diminished water flow to the spout. Do this:

Close h/c water. Remove spout one more time. Remove Aerator from the tip of the spout one more time. Now, spout is nothing else but piece of pipe in chrome sleeve. Go to other sink, turn water on and put this spout under running water. Observe if you get good water flow through the spout.
    Go back to the faucet and find the diverter inside the column. I also suspect it may be calcified + frozen in one position. See if you can remove it and clean it.
    Now, with faucet taken apart, put towel over the assembly and run water for few seconds through it to clear all debris that could have fallen inside during deinstallation. You may need another person to turn angle stop ON while you are holding towel...

Put everything back together, turn water back on, and see if it works. I bet you if it does - than surprise : the non-functioning sprayer will now work, too...

This faucet is $29.00 in Home Depot. If you get really tired of spending entire weekend cleaning old faucet, and can afford it - then get new one. You'll be happy camper, believe me...

Good luck with your project & let us know how you did...
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 11:52 PM

Hello Chaibaba,

Follow Milo's advice open the link below will give you an idea what he is talking about, Thanks.

John

http://www.plumbingpartsdepot.com/mo...u2hdlkitch.jpg

Mar 25, 2009, 06:43 AM
    Much thanks, Milo. It WAS the diverter. It may present another problem down the road, as I suspect that some calcification has built up around it, causing the stoppage, but by grabbing the diverter with a needlenose pliers, I was able to temporarily able to push it to one side sufficiently to get the full flow of water to shoot through. I now have a wet head from the geyser :)
    PS Thanks John for the diagram.
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 25, 2009, 06:52 AM

LOL ! That's how plumbers get christened !

( My christening came from toilet fill valve back in the 70's . I was repairing fill valve inside toilet tank. I removed the upper cap under pressure, forgetting to close water supply. I must tell you: pressure was preeeety damn goooood in that sucker... :-D )

Glad you got it fixed and running !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No water coming out of hot water side for kitchen sink [ 18 Answers ]

Only water from the line of the cold side is coming out of the kitchen faucet. No water is coming out of the line for the hot water. We checked the faucets for the rest of the house and there is no problems (both bathrooms). What could be the problem. This problem happened today. I need some help.

Low water pressure kitchen sink after water heater flush [ 4 Answers ]

I flushed my water heater today. When I was done, the water pressure at all the sinks, tub, washer, dishwasher, etc worked just fine, except for the kitchen sink. I took out the aerator and confirmed there was nothing there. Ran the water without the aerator in and water pressure is still about...

No hot water at kitchen sink [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I get no hot water at kitchen sink unless I turn on the water at another sink and let it run? Then the kitchen sink runs VERY hot? House 35 years old and recently gutted and rebuilt by a contractor.

No Water in the Kitchen Sink [ 1 Answers ]

My friends moved into their house (6 years old) over the weekend. Everything was fine when they went to sleep last night, but this morning, there is no water coming from the kitchen faucet. All faucets in the bathrooms work fine, as do the toilets, the dishwasher and the sprayer attachment to the...

No water in kitchen sink [ 6 Answers ]

I was washing dishes last week when I suddenly lost all hot and cold water from the kitchen sink. The spray attached to the faucet works, but hardly any water comes out when I just open the faucets (two handles). There also appears to be no water getting to the dishwasher adjacent to the sink, but...

View more questions Search