Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andtie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2015, 06:54 PM
    So it'll all boil down to whether and to what extent Germany would tax my scholarship -- which doesn't seem to be very likely. I understand...

Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Most countries do NOT tax scholarships unless they represents payments beyond the normal tuition, fees and living costs.

Example: Someone who gets several different scholarships that they receive in cash to pay for their costs, and the total of the scholarships exceed the tuition, fees and boarding costs at the university. In that case, the excess is taxable income.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 3, 2015, 08:35 PM
    That is the gist of it.
    Stephan-F Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2017, 08:06 PM
    A late-comer question, in case anybody reads this:

The consensus of this thread seems to be that Germans who are in the US as J1-scholars can claim tax exemption for two years, but will have to declare their income in Germany in this situation. This can be beneficial in case of scholarships which are not taxable in Germany.

Does anybody happen to know if that applies to teaching/research fellowships as well? I'm postdoc at CMU In Pittsburgh. The job title on the offer letter is "postdoctoral fellow", and I'm receiving a salary that comes from a MURI grant, but is managed by the University.

My guess is that my income is probably not tax free in Germany already since it's called a "salary" and not "stipend", but I'm no legal expert at all.

Does anybody happen to know more? Any input appreciated.

Thanks!

J
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 11, 2017, 08:17 PM
    If you are getting a W-2 for the fellowship, then it is a "salary" and you will have to pay taxes to someone, be it the U.S. or Germany.
    Stephan-F Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2017, 12:10 PM
    Wow thanks for the quick reply, AtlantaTaxExpert. I got a W-2, so that should settle it.

For any other German grad students or postdocs who might come across this thread, the following wiki page of the DFG seems very relevant:

Steuern USA – DFG-Wiki

It says that whether income is tax free in Germany is determined by the "income code" . Income code 16 is for stipends and scholarships and is tax free in Germany.

But I called the CMU payroll department this morning, and they couldn't tell me my income code for sure, though they said it's probably 18 or 19.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Germany-USA tax treaty [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I moved from Germany to the States to work as a Research Associate on a J-1 visa for 2 years. Since I heard about the tax treaty between Germany and the US, I applied for tax exemption in the local payroll office. From now on, they don't withdraw any taxes from my salary, which...

Tax treaty with Germany allow [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, First of all, thank you for offering apparently competent help for people like me! I have entered the US as an F-1 Student in Sept. 07. After I returned home (Germany) last summer, I returned to the US again in July 08 as a J-1 short-term scholar. Since I am getting paid this time, I...

J1 resident alien - tax treaty - fellowship Germany [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! I have a question regarding taxation of fellowships. I am German citizen who came to the US in 2005 on a J-1 visa as a research scholar. Between 2005 and 2007 I was paid by a german fellowship and partly by my boss at the university for the time that was not covered by the fellowship....

F-1 Student from Germany, Five-Year Rule, Scholarship, Tax Treaty Benefits, 1042-S [ 1 Answers ]

I am a graduate student from Germany. I had been in the United States on a J-1 from 1998 to 1999 and from 2004 to 2005. I have been in the United States on an F-1 since August 15, 2006. According to the five-year rule, I am therefore a resident alien for tax purposes as of 2007. My sole income...

Tax treaty germany usa.2 year counting [ 15 Answers ]

I am a research associate employed by a university to work at NASA. I am on a J-1 visa in the category research scholar/associate. I am now lost how to get the most out of my tax return. I entered the US on Aug 2006 to do research at a different university. This was on a J-1 visa as well in the...

View more questions Search