Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    summerz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2006, 10:17 PM
    How to repair basement wall?
    Hello,
    If I'm not in the correct category here, please direct me to the correct one.
    I have a split level house which has a partially submerged basement. The basement walls are approximately 4 feet deep into the ground.

Every time it rains, water seeps in from 2 walls at the bottom where they meet the basement floor.
    I checked the outside of the walls and they're not in the best shape. There are some holes which I filled up hoping to have a temporary fix, but to no avail.
    The house has old siding which is asbestos I believe to be about 40 years old.
    It needs to be replaced.
    I can stick my hand in areas where the wooded part of the house meets the cement basement wall.

My questions are the following...
    What is the best way to fix the leaking walls? A neighbor said I should dig out the ground around the walls to the depth of the basement floor, and pour cement... Does this sound right?

Also, I don't know what other water damage might be behind the exterior siding. Would I need 2 different companies... one for the siding and one to repair the basement wall?
    If so, what should I do first?

I can't really tell if the water problem is just from what is visible above ground, or if it's deeper where I cannot see.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good company in Bucks County, PA?
    I previously have a few windows put in by Sears, and they did a horrible job, not sealing up the windows properly, and they charged a fortune.

Thanks for any info or tips you can give me...

P.S. I'm considering Crane solid core siding, either in a beaded board or a vinyl cedar shake style. Any thoughts on the quality of Crane and also the cost for a split level home which is approximately 1700 square feet?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Sep 4, 2006, 05:59 AM
    I have the same problem w/ my split level. (King of Prussia, PA) Mine has a crawl space instead of a basement. The problem I have is the water enters at the floor joint where it meets the wall.
    The people who owned the house before me built up the grade along the exterior of the house and landscaped it. The problem isn't the ground water or anything to do w/ the exterior, it is the water table in my neighborhood.
    It can rain like crazy and I'll get no water in the crawlspace but a few hours later when the water table rises then the water starts to seep in.

The thing that needs to be done is a water proofing system needs to be installed. This is something I'll do myself.

A water proofing system is where a company will come in and jack hammer the basement floor about 16" from the basement walls, dig a trench down to the footer and either install drain tile if there isn't any already installed or divert the existing drain tile to a sump pump system. Then they fill in the trench w/ gravel and then re-cement the floor in the repaired area.

A professional company will give life time guarantees on these sytems. The work very well.

Your neighbor is giving you bad advice. That won't solve anything. That's a lot of time and money wasted.

To continue... if I take too long my posts won't post.

I don't know off hand any water proofing companies in Bucks Co. Check your yellow pages and get at least 3 estimates.

As for the Crane siding, if you go to their web site ( or Google Crane) go under contractor/remodeler and punch in your zip code to get a list of Crane installers in your general area. I'm not too familiar w/ the Crane brand but regular vinyl siding is about 250-300.00 a square.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement toilet drain 14" from wall :( [ 4 Answers ]

Am tackling putting in a bathroom in the basement. Walls are already up, but I noticed now that the center of the drain for the toilet is around 14" from the studs (drywall yet to go on). Is a seemingly simple installation now going to be a more major undertaking? I'm relatively new at this and...

Repair leaking PVC elbow in a wall. [ 4 Answers ]

I have discovered a leaking PVC elbow between an upstairs tub and the drain to the downstairs. It is in a very difficult to get to area. Since I can't get to it to cut it out and glue another will a silicone sealant possibly stop the leak? Or is there some other kind of sealant that might work...

Ceiling Repair [ 3 Answers ]

Does ones use just regular joint compound for repairing part of a roof? I have a spot about 18x30 that I had to replace in my bathroom roof. I accidentally stepped through it when in the attic a while back. I replaced the drywall and now need to get the roof textures to match. I am going to be...

Wet basement wall... [ 2 Answers ]

See photo... House is 6 years old. Starting a few months ago, when we get a heavy rain, a water line will form on the basement wall (poured basement). It doesn't appear to be 'flowing' - just wet to the touch. Nothing on the floor. No cracks - just a water line. An hour after the rain...

Car repair [ 1 Answers ]

Car repair I have a Mercury Sable LS 2000 The lights on the Dash Board that display the gear you are in are not working I was told that I need to change a modal any ideas

View more questions Search