Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Panafilm06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 12:33 AM
    HOw to serve divorce and exparte custody order when other parties location is unknown
    My wife left me and my son. I have verbal contact with me but she wants to drag this out so she won't tell me where she is I have an ex parte order by the judge to have full twmp custody. I would like to get this doen asap so I really need to get the papers served. Please help. I am in CA I think she might be in Illinois but not sure.:mad:
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 04:18 AM

Your lawyer will know how to handle the divorce when contact is not possible. It varies from court to court so a local lawyer is best qualified.

But its possible and happens all the time. She cannot hide from the inevitable.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2009, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Panafilm06 View Post
    My wife left me and my son. I have verbal contact with me but she wants to drag this out so she wont tell me where she is I have an ex parte order by the judge to have full twmp custody. I would like to get this doen asap so i really need to get the papers served. Please help. I am in CA I think she might be in Illinois but not sure.:mad:

Your Attorney will hire an investigator. If all else fails she can be served by publication following a Court order.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2009, 10:05 AM

As Judy said, you need to hire a private investigator to try to locate your wife. Most of these guys are retired police officers with friends on the force who can do a good thorough search for you and try to locate her. If your investigator fails, he will simply write up a declaration showing what efforts he made to find your wife that you can submit to the court with an ex parte application for order for publication of summons. When you get your order you can publish the summons in a local newspaper (in Illinois, probably in the county where she was last known to reside). Publication can be really expensive, sorry to say. Your investigator might charge $400 or so (say $50/hr and he might need 8 hours to do his search). But a client of mine paid $1,600 just to publish the summons in an El Paso paper a few years ago. It can be pretty pricey. After service is complete, you'll have to wait 30 days and then can proceed by default.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 10:15 AM

Also if you have "verbal" contact a court order can trace the phone records
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    As Judy said, you need to hire a private investigator to try to locate your wife. Most of these guys are retired police officers with friends on the force who can do a good thorough search for you and try to locate her. If your investigator fails, he will simply write up a declaration showing what efforts he made to find your wife that you can submit to the court with an ex parte application for order for publication of summons. When you get your order you can publish the summons in a local newspaper (in Illinois, probably in the county where she was last known to reside). Publication can be really expensive, sorry to say. Your investigator might charge $400 or so (say $50/hr and he might need 8 hours to do his search). But a client of mine paid $1,600 just to publish the summons in an El Paso paper a few years ago. It can be pretty pricey. After service is complete, you'll have to wait 30 days and then can proceed by default.

In NY you can get the info with a Private Investigator's License, no need to use sources.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I serve "order to show cause" on other party? [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to file an Order to Show Cause. I was wondering if I need to contact a process server to serve the Order to the other side; or is it sufficient to send a certified return receipt letter. (This is a great website - thanks to all)

Can I proceed with the divorce if he won't serve me the papers? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been separated from soon to be ex for over a year. He filed for divorce in January, but won't serve me the papers. I have tried to contact his attorney since I'm being served papers about division of assets. The only assests we have is the home we bought right before he left. I would like to...

Child Support, CP and Child's Location Unknown. [ 5 Answers ]

Here is the situation... I know after you read this, you are going to shake your head and say "How stupid can a person be?" ; however it is what it is, and help is needed now! (Parties are Defendant (Def), Child's Mom (Mom) and Child from this relationship (*child). Def was separated from his...

What happens to custody agreement if both parties move out of originating state [ 1 Answers ]

I live in New Hampshire, have primary custody of 2 teenagers whose father is moving out of the state--we may wish to do the same- what happens to the child support and visitation agreements?

Can't serve order to show cause papers to ex. [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has hired an attorney and her process server was not able to serve the ex girlfriend papers so he can visit with his 2 boys- then we hired sheriffs and the tried 5 times at her work and also could not serve her because her work said she no longer worked there or that she wasn't at...

View more questions Search