Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbccls Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2009, 08:45 PM
    Discovering my ancestry
    My great grandmother was adopted back in 1909 in Nebraska. It was a closed adoption and she spent her whole life trying to find out who her birth parents were, but the people she talked to told her that there was enough money to keep the records sealed forever.

It's been 100 years now and my great grandmother has passed away. Is it possible to get the records unsealed now? I have her SS#, which I've heard is helpful. Do I need to hire an attorney?

Thanks for any help.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 06:01 AM

Unless there is a medical issue involved, it is doubtful you can have the records unsealed.

An attorney would probably be of help to you to make a decision on how long and hard you want to fight for this.

There might not BE accurate records. Depending on when and where your great-grandmother was born, they may have listed the adoptive parents as the parents on the birth certificate, and called it done. This especially became the case when a lot of money was involved. It was extraordinarily shameful to be an unwed mother at the time, and if your great-grandparents are as old as mine, it could ruin any prospects of a good marriage for a girl that got "caught". Basically what I'm saying is that if there was a lot of money involved---there probably are not adoption records. The child was probably given to hand-picked adoptive parents who then signed the birth certificate. The birthmother would never have even seen her child.

So--is it POSSIBLE to have those records opened? I don't know.

Is it probable you'll get an answer? Not really.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 06:08 AM
    Let me also respond that 100 years ago many people were born at home and birth certificates were not issued under certain circumstances, therefore it may be impossible to find out the ancestry.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 10:14 AM

First I would be surprised if 100 year old records could even be found But if they were, I doubt also if you could get them released.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portuguese Ancestry ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to find out about Portuguese passports and ancestry visa. My boyfriend and I are south African citizens, his grandfather was a Portuguese citizen and his father, though born in Mozambique lived in Portugal till he was 14. I am trying to find out if there is some sort of ancestry...

Ancestry of Bartges [ 4 Answers ]

Does anybody know the family ancestry of the last name Bartges from West Virginia and Pennsylvania? I'm stuck and I need help

My ancestry. [ 2 Answers ]

I've been told I am a direct descendant of Christopher Jones, captain of the Mayflower. If I can trace this and prove this to be true, then I am eligible for a scholarship. Otherwise, I cannot afford college. Im only a freshman in high school right now, but I need to be prepared for my future. My...

Discovering good sites [ 2 Answers ]

Are there anymore sites like 'del.icio.us' 'digg' 'swarmthe.com', where you can discover new sites? Maybe a site with millions of links to different kinds of sites in different catergorys, or maybe like 'swarmthe' showing all the most popular sites viewed each day. Thanks.

View more questions Search