Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pilgrim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Gable vs Roof vents
    I have a house without soffit or ridge vents. I do have gable vents. Attic is way too hot anytime but winter. What is the best way to vent the attic? I haven't been able to find an answer without having soffit vents as a given.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 23, 2009, 02:02 PM

You can install a thermostaically operated exhaust roof vent Attic Power Vent - Attic Ventilation Problem Solution? or NOT I have seen but not installed some solar units currentl in the market. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...047003,00.html
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 07:49 PM

Is this an old Victorian or an old rancher? Either or it would be best with soffit vents as you found out. If that can't be accomplished by using a hole saw and pop in the round vents with screens in them that are made for that, then gable vents in conjunction with a ridge vent would improve things. Also Bal1 gave a couple of good options here. And some systems are a bit unsightly. It's a trade off hear.

What type of house is this and height?

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attach gable roof to flat roof [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a three season attached screenroom. We are uncertain how to attach the gable roof to the present roof (gabled in the opposite direction, so the attachment is on the flat side). We have spent hours trying to locate do it yourself instructions and can only find do it yourself kits...

Turbine roof vents [ 7 Answers ]

I have roof vents, on my metal roof which are of the turbine type. One of them leaks during heavy rain, which we have had recently. I have been on the roof, and I can't find any area around the vent which needs any sealing. Is it conceiveable that the vent itself is leaking? I have three vents...

Septic stink outside house from roof vents [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, We had a completely new septic tank and drain field put in about a month ago. The old septic was four inch cinder block and the pipe ran under a retaining wall to the house. They said that after they crushed the old septic they could not get to the house because of the wall. I'm not sure where...

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

View more questions Search