Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XM8 Posts: 213, Reputation: 14

Mar 23, 2009, 01:09 PM
    The lovely human heart
    Hi,

I've got a biology test next Monday and need to ace this test.

I had one about the heart last Thursday which if I may say so I did an excellent job on.

There are just a few things I need to clarify so that I'm confident I know the chapter.

Today we studied the PO2, which if I recall correctly means Pressure of Oxygen. Now there are certain things one has to remember, such as the pressure of blood going from the lungs to the heart, which I think is 106 PO2, however it is 104 when going back into the lungs from the pulmonary artery, etc.

It wouldn't be a problem for me to learn these numbers it's just that I don't fully understand the concept of this pressure stuff.

What does it really mean, what is the point of it?

Btw, is it true that people who do bungy jumping sometimes die because they fall so fast that there is a rapid pressure change and their lungs exhale O2 instead of CO2?

Another thing is that for athletes to be able to increase their VO2 max, they must increase the amount of blood rich in O2, pumped out of the heart during systole. However by doing this they decrease their heart rate. Is this correct? If so could someone please go into a bit more detail?

Any help will be most appreciated,

Thanks a lot,

-Xm8
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 23, 2009, 06:17 PM
    Hello XM8

On the pressure issue :

'The pressure of blood going from the lungs to the heart, which I think is 106 PO2, however it is 104 when going back into the lungs from the pulmonary artery, etc.'

As can be seen from this graphic (link1) and also of this graphic (link2)

The low pressure oxygen poor blood returns from the body tissues through the veins into the heart (right atrium), leaves the right ventrical under pressure and flows into the lungs where CO2 is replaced with O2. This process reduces the pressure of the blood. Than the blood returns to the heart (left atrium) and leaves the left ventrical under pressure into the aorta towards the body tissues.

So blood pressure into the atrium is always lower than that coming out of the ventrical.
    And blood pressure into the lungs (and into body tissues) is always higher than that returning from the lungs (and body tissues) into the heart.

As to breathing by athletes : their heart rate may go slow when in rest, but their lung capacity is increased.
    During heavy load a fast heart beat combined with high lung capacity allows a bigger oxygen supply to the body tissues.

And as to bungy jumping : may be it is more a case of cardiac arrest from pure fright? :)

Mar 24, 2009, 02:59 AM

Thanks for that great answer. Very helpful indeed.

If I have anymore questions I'll post back here, because I'm at school right now and I don't have my biology stuff.

Thanks again,

-Xm8

Mar 25, 2009, 01:23 PM

Ok well I've been looking through my biology lesson and I've come across 2 things I'm not so sure of.

Maximum Aerobic Speed (MAS) and Maximum Aerobic Capacity (MAC). I know they have something do with the VO2 Max (I know what that is).

Can anyone explain please?

Thanks,

-Xm8
    -

Mar 25, 2009, 06:47 PM
    Hello XM8

Next time please post new questions in a new topic!

VO2max is the maximum amount of oxygen in millilitres in the blood.

Maximum Aerobic Speed (MAS) is about the relationship between oxygen supply and the time the activity can be maintained.

Maximum Aerobic Capacity (MAC) is the relationship between an activity and the max. oxygen consumption needed for that activity.

VO2max is important in both cases, as if there is more oxygen in the blood, the activity can be maintained longer (MAS), and the activity can be done faster and/or easier (MAC).

Mar 25, 2009, 11:08 PM

Hey Sarnian,

Sorry about that will do :).

Thanks a lot for the great answer :D

KIR,

-Xm8
    -

Mar 26, 2009, 02:46 AM
    Hello Kir,

Just keep that lovely human heart pumping ! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Heart To Heart (BBC News) [ 4 Answers ]

Hello fellow AMHD Devotees, Just thought I'd share this news story with everyone as I thought it was pretty fantastic! BBC NEWS | Health | Woman face-to-face with own heart Goes to show how important organ donation can be! :) And this one, that literally made my skin crawl;

My lovely parents [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, I just want to share my feelings to you. I have been brought up in a very happy way by my parents. They get me everything what I need. I got married recently and I find it very difficult leaving them and staying in my husband's house. My husband is not friendly to anyone. He is just...

Lovely nails [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys. I want big nails. What shoud I do to get bigger nails?

Fair lovely [ 1 Answers ]

Hi mother er any one want to care his skin to come his person for me. I care for it. I always sleeping his bed. And...

View more questions Search