Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammyb Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Mar 23, 2009, 08:03 AM
    Recurring dreams after a breakup
    Hi all,

This isn't so much a relationship questions as a psychological question. It's been a while since I've posted on here. Basically, I broke up form a three year relationship a year ago (almost to the day). In a nutshell, she began getting a little too friendly with one of her colleagues and I simply left as I didn't know how to handle it. The last I knew, she was going on holiday with him last June, so I would imagine it was getting serious. I haven't heard anything about her or him since.

It took me about nine months to get to state where I can confidently say I am "over" her. Basically I don't miss her anymore, and the feelings of pain attached to the relationship have subsided. I don't hate her anymore, and even the ridiculous doubts I once had about future relationships have gone.

The odd thing is that for the past 8/9 days I have had dreams about her EVERY night, usually involving her telling me that she wants me back or us getting together etc. Over the past year I have never had any conscious recolection of these sorts of dreams, so why the hell are they coming to me now that I couldn't care less about her? On the off chance, can anyone interpret dreams?
    A mouse Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Mar 23, 2009, 12:10 PM
    You say you're over her, that you don't have any feelings toward or against her, but from what you said I can gather that you still subconsciously want to love her again. It seems like the relationship ended very suddenly and after three years of loyalty. That kind of breakup usually leads to one's slow suppression of emotions. That process for you took about nine months. Now that you feel completely fine with the breakup you're starting to let all those emotions come back, at least on a subconscious level. The reason for it coming out of no where could be that you saw something that reminded you of her, or perhaps you even saw her. Once you love somebody, those feelings are almost impossible to get rid of. I wouldn't recommend getting back together with this person, if she can cheat once she can cheat again. Find somebody else to get together with, somebody you already trust and care about and vice versa, over time even your subconscious will replace the feelings for your ex with the new feelings for your new girlfriend.

-Mouse
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Mar 23, 2009, 12:19 PM

Some dream experts will say that your subconscious is telling you something.

Here's another approach. Every few months over the past 5-6 years, I have this re-occuring dream that I really like my friend. But in reality, I wouldn't even consider a relationship with her and that hasn't changed.

I know it's not the same thing, but the point is that you don't need to put too much emphasis on dreams.

Instead of trying to understand the dreams, you should ask yourself, while you are awake, whether you still have feelings for her.
    MiSSsy111222 Posts: 267, Reputation: 29

Mar 23, 2009, 02:12 PM

Hmm I find that if I have a dream that stands out, I will dream about the same thing over and over for a few weeks. Not sure if this is the case for you.

Try reading or watching a film before bed.This might help.
    jammyb Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Mar 24, 2009, 03:52 AM

Thanks guys, yeah that all makes sense.

Mouse, I had a kind of idea that it was the subconscious finally letting go of the feelings, or bringing them up for some reason. I don't miss her per se, just what we once had I guess. And no, I would NEVER get back with her. Things are going pretty well at the moment and I'm really enjoying the single life (it's unbelievable how your attitude changes over time and NC). There's been a couple of fantastic girls since and I've had a great time, although they didn't really work out.

I wish - Yeh I see you point, a dreams a dream. It's your conscious thought that matters. I'm definitely over the relationship on a conscious level, and not even looking for relationships as I'm too busy with other stuff (career, sport etc). So why this has come up now I have no idea.

Misssy - I don't really think about it that much. The thoughts just seem to pop up recently in dreams. Thanks anyway

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could BV be recurring? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to find out what this is. In 2006, I was celibate and didn't have any sexual partners. In December I met someone and we had sex, once unprotected. About 2 weeks later I had some bleeding and abnormal discharge. The discharge was brownish-red, foul smelling. I had all tests done at my doctors...

I need help with a recurring dream [ 4 Answers ]

I keep having reacurring dreams about this guy I went out with. He was a good guy and all, but things didn't work out, so I accepted it and moved on. But I keep dreaming about him. I want to know why?

Recurring dream [ 1 Answers ]

I have been having dreams about my first love since we broke up in High school. I haven't spoken to him in 6 years. I always wake up broken-hearted and really missing him. It's not every night but every couple of months. I always remember the dreams that I have about this guy. It's driving me...

Recurring theme in dreams [ 6 Answers ]

For years, in practically every dream I have, whether it's a pleasant dream or a nightmare, and in whatever setting the dream is, the house I lived in at age 5 is present. In nightmares, I'm trapped in the house or someone is trying to get in to hurt me, etc. In pleasant dreams, the house is just...

View more questions Search