Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lori5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 06:54 AM
    Is my great dane pregnant
    I have a 5 year old female great dane. I noticed yesterday that her nipples were enlarged and she has been acting very lovingly. Also her vulva is enlarged a little. She has not been spayed and was in heat about 55 days ago. We watch her extensively while she is out and about just because she is not spayed when she is in heat. Although we had a worker at our house a while ago and I am not sure that he did not let her out. We have two other male beagles and I am worried that they may have encountered. Her beely is the same size and she has also stopperd eating as much. Seems to want to lay around a lot and I noticed this morning that she was pulling her blankets around. I felt her belly last nigth and did not feel anything in there. Is it possible that she could be pregnant or could something else be going on with the swollen nipples and the enlarged vulva?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 07:27 AM

Dogs can often have a phantom pregnancy. They have all the symptoms of being pregnant and can even lactate without having any puppies.

The gestation period for a dog is 9 weeks so she should show signs of having puppies in her womb by now unless there are only 1 or 2 puppies, when they lay on their side you can actually see them kicking in the last few weeks, it's amazing :)

Take her to the vet to get an ultrasound if you are unsure :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Great dane [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a great dane and he is about 5 month old and wheighs 60 lb. I just want to know what I can expect on how big he is going to be in height and wheight? Thank James

My Great Dane doesn't like to Eat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a rather large problem with our pet Dane. He has no interest in any kind of food that dogs are meant to eat. He is now 20 months old and we have had nothing but problems with him over his lack of eating. He has never showen any interest in food other than cat food. But just...

Great Dane Great Strain? [ 8 Answers ]

I love great danes!! I have and always will love them. In general I love big dogs! My question is though if I were to get a great dane what's my cost looking at what are some of the problems that are spefic to great danes behaviour and health wise (ex. Yorkies have hip problems) also I really want...

My great dane won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have two great dane mixes. They are mostly dane, but their mom is a doberman. They are very friendly and well-mannered. They always remain outside and sleep warmly in the garage. They are both sisters and 8 months old. They were given to us and Fibi eats well and was much healthier...

9 week old Great Dane [ 1 Answers ]

How do I keep my puppy from jumping and biting? I play with him a lot to try to us up some of his energy. Any ideas?

View more questions Search