Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eschuen Posts: 62, Reputation: 6

Mar 22, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Don't want flaky pie crust
    Can anyone tell me how to make a pie crust that's more like a bakery crust than that flaky crispy stuff. I'm a guy people so please don't get techinical on me... lol. I used to use Jiffy pie crust and no longer can find it. Any help will be appreciated.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 22, 2009, 03:58 PM

Buy the frozen pie crusts. They are not flaky. Not what I want, maybe sometimes for a quiche they are good, but otherwise, for apple pie, or a torte, I like flaky.

Tick
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Mar 23, 2009, 01:56 PM
    Also those pie crusts found in the refrigerated section are not flaky either.
    They still make Jiffy pie crust have you tried other grocery stores?
    I say that because for some reason in my area they stopped selling that and those Blueberry muffins at certain stores but others still have it.
    So maybe try and find another store in your area that offers it.

What exactly are you baking maybe someone may have a recipe that will work that you can do from scratch.

God Luck
    Expert

Mar 23, 2009, 03:45 PM

Hi, linay, he doesn't want 'flaky' pie crusts that's why I suggested the frozen ones.
    lilbay Posts: 64, Reputation: 11

Mar 23, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Yes I read that.

Which is why I said om ,y reply
    The refrigerated ones are NOT flakey either
    At least the pillsburry ones I have used are not.

I also asked what he was making thinking that Maybe someone had a Not to flakey scratch recipe that would work for what he was making.

By the way it is LilBAY but you can just call me Bay that is what my friends call me.
    HI Nice to meet you :D

Mar 23, 2009, 04:46 PM

Lady's thank you all,

I never realized they had frozen pie crust. I've recently become a widower and am trying to make a few things as my wife did. I got spoiled I guess. I never liked flakey crust and my wife made special pies for me, and as she said, real pies for herself and company. I'd appreciate a from scratch recipie if any has one. One lady told me just take flour and crisco. That just didn't sound right. Or was I wrong ?
    Expert

Mar 23, 2009, 05:16 PM

2 cups flour
    l/2 cup hard shortening (l cup for flaky)
    Pinch salt
    Blend all of the above with pastry blender until it looks 'mealy' as in cornmeal
    Mix in l/2 cup chilled water until all is well mixed
    Work with hands

Blend with hands into a ball, wrap in plastic and freeze if you like, but works better if chilled before rolling out

Tick

Mar 23, 2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks tick, Is Crisco a hard shortning?
    Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 03:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eschuen View Post
    Thanks tick, Is Crisco a hard shortning?
    Yes
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Apr 19, 2009, 11:20 AM
    Why would you not want flaky crust?

I use the recipe from the Crisco can, only I substitute 2 Tablespoons vodka for the first two Tablepoons water. Mine turns out pretty good most of the time.
    Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohb0b View Post
    Why would you not want flaky crust?

I use the recipe from the Crisco can, only I substitute 2 Tablespoons vodka for the first two Tablepoons water. Mine turns out pretty good most of the time.
    I guess it's a matter of preference. Sometimes I make pies where I don't want flaky either.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crust behind my ears [ 9 Answers ]

I have a crust that forms behind my ears. It comes and goes but can also crack and hurt and the junction of the ear lobe and jaw. What might this be and how should I treat it?

Flaky mouse [ 5 Answers ]

My (MS) wireless mouse began acting flaky last week, in that it wouldn't respond to my "clicks" properly. Sometimes it required the simultaneous pressing of both sides of the mouse in order to activate my desktop icons. Some times after clicking on a desktop icon, the mouse would not respond...

Shady or flaky lawyer? [ 4 Answers ]

For almost 2 years, I have been going through a divorce in Cali. I have been meaning to get new council since I feel that my current lawyer has not been consistent and also ripping me off! I feel like he is taking me for a ride but I don't know how else to confirm what he is telling me is real! I...

Uncooked flaky biscuits [ 2 Answers ]

I have a recipe from a website called 'Epicurious' and I need 'purchased biscuit dough' also referred to as 'purchased refrigerated uncooked large flaky biscuits'. There's no way I'll be able to buy it where I'm living. Can anyone tell me how to make this. The actual recipe is for Baked apple,...

Dry, Itchy, Flaky Skin [ 7 Answers ]

I need a miracle for my dog. He is a retreiver mix with horrible skin. His skin is dry, itchy, and flaky. I groom him often and bath him regularly. He has been to the vet for it and been given medication, but it doesn't help. It has made it worse. I thought that maybe it was his food, so I...

View more questions Search