Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dfg02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2009, 12:45 PM
    1950's Cinder Block Foundation blocks falling apart
    The foundation in my Grandparents house was built in the 1950's with cinder blocks. Water is leaking through the blocks and if you lightly rub the blocks they are very soft. A white mold substance is on much of the surfaces.
    My dad told me that they did put a sealer on the exterior of the blocks as well as filled the interior of the blocks with a concrete mix. Can these be fixed? Or worst case need to be replaced?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2009, 02:55 PM

Is there any way to post some pics here? The block may have mold on it and a mildacide cpuld be needed here to kill the mold before any work is done. If its more like a white powder its effervescing from the salt still in the block. That usually doesn't last this long.

Do you know what size blocks are there in width. ( I'm guessing 8" because of its age)

How many floors above wall and do you see any cracks and or buckling?

Get back and we can go from there.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between concrete block and cinder block [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between concrete block and cinder block when used in a home's foundation? What makes cinder block less desirable?

Shifting cinder block foundation [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, We recently purchased a cottage and it sits on cinderblocks to keep if off the ground. The cinders are tilted toward the waterfront and need to be realigned. Is there an easy way to do this ourselves or is this a professional fix. Who fixes this type of thing and how much would something...

Fuel Odor from Cinder Block Foundation [ 1 Answers ]

I had a fuel tank removed that was adjacent to my foundation. It leaked. The contaminated soil was removed and no environmental impact was created. I now have an fuel odor coming through a few of the large cracks in the interior wall. What is the best way to remedy this? Seal it from the inside?...

Repairing cinder block foundation [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All, My house is on a hill so the front is at level with the street and the back foundation is partly exposed. The garge is part of the basement and level with the driveway. Over the years water coming down from the roof and building up behind a 2 1/2' retaining wall next to the garage has...

View more questions Search