Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevestr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 08:12 PM
    Whirpool Senseon Dryer not drying
    Hi Everyone,

I have an electric Whirlpool Senseon dryer that's 6 years old. In the past 6 months the dryer has been taking much longer to dry. I have an appliance warranty through our local utility. I've made a call and they have dispatched one of their contract appliance repair contractors to look at the problem.

The repairman has replaced the thermistor and cleaned out the exhaust so all of the lint has been removed. It still continued to take a long time to dry. On his next visit, he suggested that the outlet is bad because he couldn't get 240 volts. An electrician replaced the outlet and got 240 volts and the dryer still doesn't dry as quickly as it should. The repairman came back again. He said the dryer still wasn't getting 240 volts. He checked the dryer side of the cord and not the outlet side. He decided to pull the plug from the outlet and expand the prongs just to see if he could get a better connection. That simple fix got 240 volts on the dryer side of the cord. The repairman stayed and tested the dryer (empty) and found that the dryer cycled correctly and provided the appropriate amount of heat through the exhaust. But it is still not drying very well. The repairman tried to blame the poor performance on the age of the dryer (6 years old!) and I refuse to accept that a 6 year old dryer is going bad.

Can anyone suggest another fix to try for this dryer?

Thanks,

Steve
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 17, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Now we know the dryer is free of lint, which would have been my first check. We can also rule out the thermistor. And improper voltage.

Now its just down to making sure everything is working. Check the door gasket, make sure the only way air can enter the drum while its running is through the element. This insures that all ai that enters the drum will be heated.

You will want to check the element, thermostat, and high limit for proper operation.

Once you check all that, and still have a problem, its time to start using your imagination. For example, I once beat my head against the wall on a rotisseire oven, darned thing wouldlnt cook chickens. All the elements were working, changed thermostats, and high limits, checked blowers, cleaned blower chambers out. Even stuck my own temp probe in there, came right up to 375 like it should. It blew my mind. Actually told the customer her oven seemed to be in somekind of antichicken cooling vortex (as a joke).

Changed the blowers, turns out they were heating up and not working intermittenly after so long. Problem solved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool Senseon dryer won't start [ 13 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool Senseon electric dryer (model GEQ9858JQ0, same as in another post - "Whilrpool dryer keeps shutting off" from 2/9/06). It's about five years old. The dryer worked fine until today. We ran several loads through it just fine today, then it wouldn't start when pressing the Start...

Whirlppol dryer not drying [ 2 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool dryer about 3.5 years old. The last 2 weeks it takes 2.5 hours to dry one load. I have cleaned all possible vents, the element still heats, it just doesn't dry! Very frustrating.:mad: Any help would be great! Thanks:)

Dryer not drying [ 1 Answers ]

My frigidaire dryer is heating but not drying in the appropriate time. It takes forever for the clothes to dry. Could this be the heating element?

Whirlpool electric dryer not fully drying [ 2 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool electric dryer model number gew9868kq0. When I have a little load it dries OK in auto mode. When I have a med to full load I have to start it up a few times to dry in auto sensing mode. Any help would be great... Mike

Dryer not drying, heating [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I would like to fix this myself! My electric dryer is heating, but not drying my clothes. My lint trap is always clean every time I check it- which is weird because usually it needs to be cleaned between loads! When I open my dryer door (my dryer keeps going even when I open the door-...

View more questions Search