Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acnj3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 04:48 PM
    Old Pipes
    I'm redoing a bathroom in a 1960's vintage home. Wanted to replace the rusted pipes draining from the sink (in the wall) with pvc. Should I screw out the pipe or just pull. Do I have to knock out the wall and get a clear view or can I do the job without wall damage. When I install the PVC do I simply align and insert where the old pipe was? Any tips on the best way to do this?

B
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2006, 08:48 PM
    What are the pipes made of that you are going to replace. How long are the pieces that you are going to replace... give a little more information and maybe someone can help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2006, 07:07 AM
    I'm going to assume that in a 60's house the pipes are galvanized iron.
    This will be a simple conversion without tearing into your wall.
    The wall stub out should have threads. Screw on a PVC thread to slip adapter on the threads and you can glue the PVC trap to the adapter.
    Don't forget to Teflon Tape the threads and use PVC Primer on the glue joints.
    Make very sure that everything lines up before you start to glue. PVC cement sets up fast. Good luck, Tom
    acnj3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2006, 11:47 AM
    It's galvanized iron and the threads are rusting. I can't see how far it goes into the wall but I assume it's about 6-8". I tried turning the pipe and it's stuck also. Any tricks to turn the pipe or get it unstuck?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 9, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Wire brush the threads to clean them up. Purchase a ,( I['m assuming 1 1/2 inch) female threaded compression fitting .(see image) teflon tape the pipe threads and screw it on.
    You have just convered to PVC. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banging pipes [ 1 Answers ]

In just one bathroom when the water is turned on the pipes bang when the water is running or when the toilet is flush

Air in pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have 2 questions 1- How can I take the air out from the hot water pipes. Summary: I bought a house and the plumbing was re-done just before and also a new gas hot water tank was installed. Sometimes the noise scares my kids.:D 2- Why do we have a hard time to have a shower with...

Removing Pipes [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing a bathtub in my home. The water spout just keeps spinning on the pipe nipple. I was going to replace the pipe nipple but it looks like both ends have major corrosion going on. I cannot unscrew the nipple from the tee fitting. Any suggestions on loosening these parts so I can...

Bathroom pipes [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new pipe in my bathroom sink. I thought I had everything attatched correctly, but water does not exit the pipes. The pipes are NOT clogged. Can you help me?

Abs pvc pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm redesigning my bathroom, and noticed that I have ABS pipes. The home depot don't sell any ABS supplies, but I was told that I could use the PVC instead. The guy over at Home depot seemed not to know much about plumbing. My question would be if I connect ABS with PVC is there any issues, or any...

View more questions Search