Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sqeked Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 06:44 PM
    So DEAD- you could hear a pin drop!
    I purchased a 1992 ram van 250 with a 318 5.2L engine. It was doing good- for the price- except it stalled while driving it one day. I've heard of this on many occasions from other owners. Anyway, I had work done; tune up, oil change, rotor-cap all that stuff done. Was running soooo quiet. I was pleased. Then I went out this morning to go somewhere and BAM- nothing! Not even the door locks clicked. Deader than dead. What the heck? I didn't leave anything on; lights, etc. I wiggled wires, checked fuses. Nothing. I mean, as dead as it is seems more than battery problem. Right?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2009, 06:52 PM

. Remove and place the battery on a charger.

. Clean battery terminals and cable connections.

. Check all underhood and underdash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Check for codes.

The first order of business is to ensure the battery is good. I bet it is dead. Batteries die suddenly, with no warning, all the time. Most auto parts stores will check and charge batteries for free. Every red-blooded American male should own a battery charger. It should be part of the right of passage.
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2009, 06:11 AM

Is the battery dead?

Mar 22, 2009, 02:36 PM
    I would say so. I hooked it up, it was on 0- 30 minutes. Later it was still on 0. So I'll be going to buy a battery. But I'd still like to know what killed it. I have a feeling - like usual- this is going to be a chain reaction of work to do. But what can I expect from a used '92 model.
    I'll keep you informed. And thanks
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2009, 02:51 PM

Heat is the big killer of batteries in the South. Chemical reactions increase significantly with heat, including in batteries. This greatly decreases their life. Also, you only want to add distilled water to batteries. It's important to check the fluid level of even "Maintenance Free" batteries several times a year. Some outfits sell batteries geared to people living in the South--these batteries have a lower specific gravity and last longer than higher specific gravity batteries, which work better in northern winters.

Do you know how old the battery is?
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2009, 02:59 PM

Here are 10 tips to help keep your truck out of the shop for major repairs in the future:

1. Oil and Filter--Use full-synthetic 5W-30 engine oil (e.g. Mobil 1). Change oil and premium filter (e.g. Purolator PureOne) every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.
    2. Manual Transmission Fluid--Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (5W-30). Change every 30,000 miles.
    3. ATF--Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF or Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF. Change every 30,000 miles, along with filter.
    4. Coolant--50/50 mixture of manufacturer recommended antifreeze and distilled water. Change every 3 years.
    5. Brake/Clutch fluid--Valvoline Brake Fluid or ATE TYP 200 Brake Fluid. Change every 2 years.
    6. Fuel Filter--Change every 60,000 miles or 48 months, whichever comes first.
    7. Spark Plugs--Only use the exact Champion spark plugs that came in the truck. Change platinum plugs every 48,000 miles or 48 months, whichever comes first.
    8. Belts--replace serpentine belt and idler pulley at least every 80,000 miles.
    9. Coolant and Heater Hoses--replace every 80,000 miles.
    10. Power Steering--change fluid every 50,000 miles. If nothing else, use a battery squeeze bulb (similar to a turkey baster) and partially change the fluid.

Mar 22, 2009, 05:18 PM
    That's great info about the fluids and all. We just did the plugs and wires, oil change/filter. He even put some oil treatment in there. Mopar parts and all. He also mentioned about feeling better if I had the transmission done too; filter/fluid. He also mentioned we needed to change the terminals too. The day before it died! How ironic! I turned the battery in to be checked, so they're charging to see if its good or not. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get it though. No ride to get back and pick it up until then. So I won't have a definitive answer for you until then. I'm going to be really ticked off if it's more than the battery; ECM. With all the moving of things under the hood and having to remove the cover inside the van to get to things, something might have been mixed up or kinked or something. I'm bad to always think the worst about these things. I've been screwed so many times by mechanics. Sorry, no offense. But when you're a woman and you can't talk on their level, they tend to take advantage... I don't think you fall in this category. You're on here to actually be helpful and the all mighty dollar isn't driving you... or should I say- lack there of.;)
    All I've ever wanted is to find a mechanic I could trust and I would stick with him always. Kind of like a hairdresser/barber. They get to know you and what you want and expect, etc. And its all good.
    Anyway Tx, thanks for being there. You're a blessing. I'll keep in touch.
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2009, 05:24 PM

Thank you. I learned a long time ago that it's best to stay positive. I believe everything will be fine, once you install a new battery.

These old trucks can go a long time. Remember, if you take care of the engine and transmission, everything else that goes wrong is relatively minor. Follow the time-tested tips I gave you and your old Dodge should do just fine. Start a simple Maintenance Log--Date, Mileage, Maintenance Performed. Log in everything you do to the truck. These steps are all about playing good defense in life, in order to avoid the big unexpected repair bill.

Mar 22, 2009, 06:13 PM
    So positive. You've lifted my spirits. I will start my "owners journal" first thing. So far I've kepted parts receipts. I've had so many cars over the years, I tend to get mixed up with what I've had done to which one and all. Good idea to WRITE IT DOWN. Memory is not my best quality.. :cool:
    Getting back to something I mentioned in another thread- The idea of the battery dying. I know you said weather and heat kills them. AND you mentioned fuses. I bought a multimeter:p, so it couldnt' hurt to check fuses? I'm going to need to find out what drained it. Cause nothing was left on. Nothing is running constantly; that I know of. This IS a conversion van- has the TV and dvd player, etc. And I've had it since Jan. 31st and haven't had a problem until now. OH! And btw- its 8 months. Old- the battery.
    I have a feeling its-"first things first"... Yes, I'll wait to see about the battery. Then we'll go from there. :D
    Soooo, until tomorrow. Tallyho
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 01:16 AM

Possibilities are parasitic battery drain from your TV, DVD player, etc. depending upon how they are hooked up. As you know, remote controlled devices always use some electricity, if they are plugged in. This link may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post241804

Another possibility is that the alternator is bad--most auto parts stores will check them for free.

P.S. Stay away from engine oil additives--they are almost never recommended. The chemistry in a container of oil is complete without additional additives (more is less). Synthetic lubricants are by far the best, however. They are the "key" to preventing major problems, which is why everyone in the know has used them for years. Texas (Houston) is the "oil capitol of the world" and Texans know their oil!

Mar 23, 2009, 08:29 AM
    Navagating this website
    Sorry, I'm still learning how to get around in here... :rolleyes:
    I'm trying to answer to "txgreasemonkey" on the status of my battery. Hope you get this...
    I'm a little embarrassed, but a whole lot relieved!- It WAS the battery. After taking it up to be checked- which they charged it to see if it was good. It was. So I brought it home and as soon as I hooked the positive cable- something was running... Oh NO!:cool: I'd forgotten there is a "fan" knob that must run on auxiliary that fans the back of the van. I DID leave something on... cause when the van is off, it will stay on. I must have turned it on when I had my son and grand-daughter in there Friday. So by Sat. afternoon- it was dead. So I have to check all knobs from now on before exiting!! I didn't realize that even a dead battery would give you nothing when trying to start. I thought I would have gotten at least a couple of clicks. But there was NOTHING. That's why I was afraid it was something worse. I'm soooo relieved.
    As far as rating your answers- Is that the "support member" button? Otherwise I'm not seeing the "rate your answer" tab.:eek: I DID see something along the way that resembled rating that has excellent, etc on it but when I "vote" it doesn't seem to do anything. So I'll post it HERE- Your advice has been EXCELLENT!! I need one of you around MY house.
    I also saw your page about HVAC stuff. One of the problems I'm having right now. I've got this Clacky sound coming from the fan outside. I investigated and saw this cover over some wires that was hanging down. So I pinned it up. And I also noticed an "oil" hole on the side that I know has never been oiled. So I put some in. I thought I remedied the problem but it still makes a racket, just not for long. The unit is 15 yrs. Old and overall, I've been pretty lucky. Only had to have freon put in twice and the blower motor in the attic rebuilt.
    And the list goes on... Anyway, thanks again sooooo much. You're a God-send.
    Have a good day!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 23, 2009, 08:36 AM

For future reference, to add follow-up to a thread, just use the Answer this questions options. I've merged the two threads for you.

Mar 23, 2009, 08:44 AM

OK ScottGem, thanks. I'll try it. And if it works- thank you again
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 08:58 AM

Usually, there are two aluminum oil "plugs" that need to be removed on air conditioner condenser fan motors--one going to the bearing at the top and one going to the bearing at the bottom of the motor. I use a small pair of dikes, in order not to drop the plugs. If you don't have HVAC turbine oil, which you can get at many ACE Hardware stores, use 3-in-1 oil. Tap plugs back in with a small tack hammer.

Mar 23, 2009, 09:28 AM

Ew.. I'll have to look for the other one. This is a York Heat Pump System. Does the same apply? Cause when I first heard the noise it sounded like scrubbing- like dry motor. Strain and the like...
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 09:39 AM

Not sure--most do. The lower oil plug will be between the fan blade and the motor. Turn ALL power off and you will likely have to lift the top up to gain access. As the article pointed out, replace the contactor every 5 to 7 years. It's also important to gently hose down the condenser coils.

The van runs fine, I guess?

Mar 23, 2009, 09:50 AM

Yep. I tried to reply to you specifically. I'm still learning how to navagate through here. But it WAS the battery. And its fine now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What will you do when the dead don't stay. Dead [ 6 Answers ]

I know I know, a lot of people are asking"is this kid serious" well, I am haha... What would you do to survive a Zack outbreak... I will Post my answer later on ounce I've thought about it... PLEASE BE PRACTICAL with your answers. Don't say you would get a tank because most likely there...

Hear it but can't see it [ 1 Answers ]

My TV has sound but no picture??

A Christmas Truce and other Wishes of the Season [ 2 Answers ]

I know that some of us realize that it is Christmas time. Can we agree on that? What would happen if every husband in the world decided to play nice and chose family over "X". Wouldn't it be so nice not to see all the human tragedy here. Wouldn't it be nice to suddenly relearn that her husband...

Need definitions for dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with the definitions of dead against /dead mens shoes/ dead marines for socioloy class . Please help

How to get beautiful skin how to look drop dead gourges [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get flawless skin ?what mosterisers to look out for? Steamers foundation to match my skin? How to look beautiful and how to look naturel

View more questions Search