Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HVB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 05:52 PM
    Some outlets not working & elec range, minimal heat?
    All of a sudden several outlets and some lights quit working. I have checked and changed the circuit breaker that appeared to be loose. None of the breakers has been tripped. 24 hours later our electric range turns on but only gets warm, will not get hot? The home is 30 years old with I believe original circuit breakers. I have changed some of the wall plugs to heavy duty ones a couple of years ago, fine till now?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2009, 06:40 AM
    You will not solve this without a voltage meter. Just changing parts without knowing whether the part is defective or not clearly does not work.

There is most likely a loose connection somewhere. If any of the outlets you changed are on the circuit that is not working properly, those would be the first to check.

However, the electric range not working properly indicates a problem that is at the service or the incoming lines, and may common to the outlets not working.

Some simple testing with a volt meter at the panel may help find the problem, or at least confirm a voltage problem exists.

Opening a live panel has risks, so knowledge and safety is in order.

What are your abilities? Do you have a voltmeter rated to handle up to at least 250 volts AC?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 22, 2009, 07:33 AM
    Sounds like half the service is out. Could be inside but could also be on the utility side.
    HVB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    You will not solve this without a voltage meter. Just changing parts without knowing whether the part is defective or not clearly does not work.

There is most likely a loose connection somewhere. If any of the outlets you changed are on the circuit that is not working properly, those would be the first to check.

However, the electric range not working properly indicates a problem that is at the service or the incoming lines, and may common to the outlets not working.

Some simple testing with a volt meter at the panel may help find the problem, or at least confirm a voltage problem exists.

Opening a live panel has risks, so knowledge and safety is in order.

What are your abilities? Do you have a voltmeter rated to handle up to at least 250 volts AC?
    I have some knowledge, I have changed the circuit breakers & have changed electrical outlets in the past. How do I check for a loose wire? And could the oven breaker be only half on since it is a dual breaker? Thanks HVB
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2009, 02:13 PM
    Could be anything, Stan said it the simplest.

Without a tester will only result in guessing.

Connections can be screw terminals inside the meter and at the aerial connections, all which need an electrician and the utility company, or at the Main breaker, branch breakers, how the breakers are plugged in, or at outlets, along with splices, however yours is done. Even though a connection looks good, loosening and re-tightening usually works.

Using a tester you can find or narrow down the connection that is bad.

If you don't have 240 volts across the main breaker, and 120 volts to neutral, then the problem is ahead of the panel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE Elec Range Digital Display Touch Pad not working [ 2 Answers ]

My 10-year old GE Range display stopped working. The digital display shows 888 88:88 in the space where I normally would touch to set and turn on the oven, timer, and clock. So far I have tried pushing different places on the touch pad and have tried turning the breaker switch off and on. Nothing...

Maytag elec dryer won't heat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a maytag dryer lde9306ace. All thermal fuzes are OK, element has continuity and high limit is OK. I have replace the cycling-thermostat. Dryer does run, but no heat. I have power to input side of cycling theromstat, but not on output side. Could the timer be faulty or could it be the...

Previously working electrical outlets stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone A wall of electrical outlets in my kitchen just stopped working. They were working just fine about a month ago. I tried checking the circuit box, and turning the circuits on/off just to make sure anything that has been tripped was turned on back again. But it didn't work for the...

Elec Dryer No Heat [ 2 Answers ]

Just moved to the new house and the Kenmore Elec dryer won't heat up but does run... Ran before the move.. The old tent was drying cloths in theirs still before they got their dryer out.. It was the last thing they took.. Theirs worked fine so I'm really sure the outlet is good.. One other...

Kenmore 417 elec dryer low heat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, our kenmore 417 elec dryer only works on the high heat setting. I don't think it has full heat even at that setting. The vent is clean and open. Could it possibly be the thermal limiter? Thanks

View more questions Search