Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momof4123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 12:49 PM
    Installing a Standpipe without a vent?
    Can I install a standpipe for a washing machine with an s-trap and not vent it?

/
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 12:55 PM

Not legally.

I think I would at least put in an aav.

Instead of using an s trap, use a p trap.

Here's how it goes. Bring drain up one foot, then put in a tee, on the side of the tee install a p trap, and stand pipe(24-30 inches high). On the top of the tee put a aav(air admittance valve).

Please let me know if this helps. If not, I'm sure one of the pros here will set you up with a drawing.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 21, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Gottcha covered Dad!
    I'm afraid that with the force of the washer pump the velocity of the discharge will suction the trap seal right out of the stand pipe if you install a "S" trap. It will look something like this,(see image) except the ell will be swapped for a sanitary tee and the AAV will mount on top of the tee as Dad directed in his earlier post. Good luck, Tom
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Mar 21, 2009, 05:11 PM

The auto vent should be installed above the flood rim of the standpipe.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 22, 2009, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by csavage1 View Post
    The auto vent should be installed above the flood rim of the standpipe.
    In a ideal installation you would be cvorrect. But since a AAV only will allow air to enter and blocks anything going out all of our AAV's are installed below the floor rims of the sinks and lavatories that we are venting.. See the image in my earlier post. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Height of standpipe. [ 4 Answers ]

Chapter 3 of my continuous saga... Is the standpipe distance measured strictly from its distance above the p trap? I am concerned if I make this standpipe 30 inches and washing machine may struggle to pump the water that high. Currently the top of the standpipe is a few inches above the...

Laundry Standpipe and Vent [ 11 Answers ]

A friend is replacing a stall shower with a tub & shower and replacing a nearby tub with a washer and dryer. I told her I could do the plumbing. But I chickened out on the new tub because it was a tight fit and the pipe angles a bit complicated. My friend hired a plumber. Because he was there, he...

Installing a air vent for plumbing. [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for your advise it has been great!! Question, when installing new plumbing, putting in the air vent from the drain pipe. The piece that protrudes through the roof, can this be PVC or does it have to be something else. Also how much should stick out above the roof. We have snow in...

Installing over the range microwave with old vent [ 4 Answers ]

Helo! We want to install an over the range microwave, where an old double oven GE range used to be. The cabinet above the new range has a huge hole with part of the old vent coming out. We are not sure what to do about this hole, or if a vent will be needed for a new microwave going in. We...

Installing direct inline sewage vent [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mobile home with the typical roof vents for sewage. After setup, the system is not draing properly. Everyone says I need another vent for sewage in addition to the one through the roof. Can I install one directly in the main sewage line, specifically near the clean out? If so, what exactly...

View more questions Search