Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nroberts82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 11:36 AM
    My fiancé wants to adopt my son when we get married.how do I begin the proceedings?
    My situation I'm sure is not typical but not un-typical either. My sons father is in prison and has been gone since I was pregnant. He has not even tried to contact me in almost 3 years. My fiancé is in the army and wants to put us with us as a family. How do I start proceedings on the adoption? Who do I need to contact? Will his biological father need to sign over his rights?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 12:22 PM

You need to get the biological father to sign over his rights BEFORE you can do anything else, really.

The fact that he's in prison may help to get an involuntarily termination, though.

You need a lawyer for this--every state's laws are different, and you need someone you can give ALL the details of your case to, who can help you through all the legal hurdles you have to jump to get this to happen.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2009, 01:10 PM

You will need to get married first and in some states there will be a waiting period of up to a year before he can adopt. After that, your lawyer will handle it all. Assuming the bio-father is cooperative, it will be easy.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2009, 02:17 PM
    You start by shopping for a lawyer. When you retain an attorney he will take you through every step of the way. He will explain the requirements you need to meet for the adotpion, the steps need to get the father's rights terminated and everything else.

By the way, if you had read through some of the similar threads in this and the Family Law forum, you would see that your situation is NOT atypical.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can my fiance' adopt my daughter by the time we are married? [ 9 Answers ]

My fiance' and I just got engaged and he asked me if it was possible for him to adopt my daughter by the time we are married (Spring of 2010). Her father is not on the birth certificate because I am not 100% sure who her father is(please don't judge). The two possibilities took off when I got...

My fianc? Wants to adopt my children before we are married [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have been together for 6 years. We have been engaged for a year this christmas. We are planning on getting married next summer but would like to start the adoption process now. My children's sperm donor passed away two years ago so he is not even an issue. We are just trying to...

Fiance' wants to adopt [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Michigan and my Fiance'and I are planning on getting married this summer, and he wants to adopt my son from a previous relationship. My ex (son's father) refuses to sign over his rights, he is ordered to pay child support and doesn't and also has visitation rights that he does not use....

I am getting married and my fianc? Wants to adopt my son who's father is on death row [ 2 Answers ]

How do we go about doing this? He never signed my sons birth certificate and never paid any child support. My son is 14 now and wants to be my fiancés son. He (my fiance) has been the only father he has ever known since he was 8 weeks old. Also my sons biological father was very violent towards...

View more questions Search