Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RYAN_WOHL Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Breaking a lease to buy a house
    Is they any way to breake a lease in order to buy a home ?

I singed a lease for one year in August 2008. In January the landlord called me and said they where going to put the rental protiy up for sale, but I would be able to stay out my whole lease. She also said they did not know if I would be able to renew the lease.

I started to look for a house to buy right after I received the call from the landlord. I found a house and place a bid on it and I am now in contract with the seller.

I contected the landlord to advise them I was in contract on a house and need to know about breaking the lease. . I would be giving them a 60 day notice of breaking the lease .I was told I could not breake the lease and I was resonsable for the entire lease and with the lease completely paid and damages paid they well still keep the secrtiy deposit and posably the last month the remaining time on the lease would be 3 months (june July august)

Is they a legal why I can get out of this..
    P.s.
    Sorry about the caps. Did not know there where on)

Thank you
    Ryan
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 21, 2009, 07:58 AM
    First you have to read your lease to see if it says anything about what happens if you break it. If it doesn't say anything then in most states the landlord is required to make a good faith effort to re-rent the property. The tenant is responsible for the rent until there is a new tenant or until the end of the original lease term, whichever comes first.

If the landlord is trying to sell the property then they probably won't want to try to re-rent. Talk to them, explain that they are not entitled to all of the rent if they don't try to find a new tenant, and see if you can work something out with them where they let you out of the lease in return for a payment, such as 2 months rent or retaining your security deposit.

If they're still not willing to work this out then maybe you can try finding someone to take over the balance of your lease.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2009, 09:07 AM

This is an interesting issue. As Lisa said, they are required to make a good faith effort to find another tenant, unless you are in Florida. So they cannot just hold you to the balance of the lease.

On the other hand, the fact that the new owner will not have to deal with an existing tenant may improve the saleability of the property.

So I think you may have the upper hand here. What I would do is tell the landlord they can keep the security deposit if they agree to terminate the lease early. However, if they try to collect on any rental due past your vacate date, you will fight it.

For them to collect they will have to sue you. You can then go into court, present your proof that you gave them 60 days notice of your vacate date as well as advance notice that you may have to vacate early. Also point out to the judge, that your looking for a house to buy was precipitated by the landlords notice of intent to sell. Finally show that the landlord did not try to find a new tenant.

I can't guarantee, but I think a court will side with you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2009, 09:44 AM

Please don't start a new thread for follow-up questions. Use the Answer This Question options.

I removed the new thread, but note that you are in Florida, which makes your situation more precarious. Since the landlord does not have to try to re-rent, you can be held responsible for the balance of the lease.

On the other hand, Assuming you vacate in May you will only have three months. If the closing drags out any longer, that amount would be reduced. They cannot keep yopur security deposit unless you owe rent or there were damages to clear up. So you make sure you clean up everything before you leave and do a walkthru to confirm there are no damages.

But I really see no legal way that you can get out of paying the extra three months.
    RYAN_WOHL Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 09:47 AM
    The lease is written in Florida

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking our house lease in Texas [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas. WE signed a lease for one year. The landlord hangs around our yard a lot while we are at work. The neighbors let us know. HE evidently is peeking in the windows. We have rented another house and are moving out. He said that we will have to pay him rent for the rest of the...

Breaking a lease in Maine - landlord put the house on the market [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I recently relocated back to Maine after a 2 yr stint in NC. We decided to rent this cute little house we love so I could work at home, that is the only reason I took this house and the job I have. Now he informs us that he purchased it through state of Maine housing and technically...

Breaking a house lease in California [ 2 Answers ]

We are the Landlord on a one year lease of a single family California home which ends in May 2008. Our tenants may need to move due to work/health issues early. If he vacates early, is he obligated to pay the rent in full for the term of the lease or such time I am able to find a new tenant? Can...

Breaking a lease to buy a new house [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to buy my first home in October, but my lease is not up until March 31st. Is there any legal way of getting out of the lease? I live in Texas if that makes a difference. Thank you.

Breaking a Lease in order to Buy a House [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I are looking to buy a house, but our actual lease is not up for 3 more months. The lease states that in order to termiate it, we will have to pay one half of one months rent, plus all the rent for the three months until our lease is up. Two different people have told us that if we...

View more questions Search