Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnnyAppleseed Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 09:28 AM
    Replacing basement shower with bathtub..?
    Hi guys.

So, I need to replace a basement shower with a bathtub. I replaced tubs before, not that hard.
    However, I've never quite done this, and I'm concerned about the drain. Obviously, I'd like to move it a bit, maybe a foot or so. How hard is it to adapt what's there to a bathtub drain.

Are they easily compatible..?

Will there be many issues mating old to new..?

Any bits of info, or things I need to look out for..?

Thanks guys... :)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 2, 2006, 10:24 AM
    Not having any details makes it difficult to answer your questions. What material are the pipes? How far does the old shower drain set from the side wall? The front wall? Or can the walls be moved to accommodate the tub trap and raiser? The average tub rough in is a 12 X12" dap out hole in the floor that the trap and raiser sets in. The center of the raiser wants to be 15 1/2" off the side wall plate and 1 1/2" off the fromt wall plate.
    Regards, Tom

Sep 2, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Hi speedball1,

Ok, it's like this. The existing shower is perhaps 3x3(ish), with the drain dabsmack in the middle. As the shower is currently sitting on top of the drain, I do not yet know for sure what is under there. The shower itself is all done in tile, as opposed to these new 'kits'. I have enough room to simply center the tub right over the drain, but it is not the most efficient use of the available space.

Thanks...
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 2, 2006, 10:57 AM
    If you do that you will have to beat out a 12 X12" hole around the shower raiser since the tubs drain assembly will connect undedr the floor line. The trap's underneath the cement and will serve the tub. Regards, Tom

Sep 2, 2006, 01:21 PM
    Thanks for the info, Tom.

How about the fittings..? Are there fittings designed for just such a project, to mate the two systems properly, or will I need to make it up as I go along..?

Thanks again.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 2, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAppleseed
    Thanks for the info, Tom.

How about the fittings..?? Are there fittings designed for just such a project, to mate the two systems properly, or will I need to make it up as I go along..??

Thanks again.
    Hey Johnny,

Since you've failed to inform me what material the pipes consist of I can only answer in general terms. If you place the tub over the existing trap you will need a compression fitting to connect the tub waste to the trap raiser.
    Good luck Tom

Sep 5, 2006, 03:26 PM
    Hi Tom... me again :rolleyes:

So naturally, there's been a change of plan.
    A shower "kit" will now be installed where the old tile shower now sits.
    Also naturally, the drains don't line up.
    I've read several threads about this situation, and found one that is bang on point
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...t+shower+drain

I'm going to go with the diagram in that thread, and I wonder if I understand correctly.
    You mention leaving a 1" gap between existing drain and any new pipes I would run to it... or do I seal these puppys right up..?

Thanks again...

(and thanks too to PalmMP3 for that diagram)
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 6, 2006, 06:27 AM
    If you follow MP3's diagram in offsetting abve the trap then seal it up. Regards, Tom

Sep 7, 2006, 05:08 AM
    Thanks Tom... :)
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Oct 12, 2006, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAppleseed
    ...(and thanks too to PalmMP3 for that diagram)
    You're welcome. ;)
    bldaz Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jul 30, 2012, 06:04 AM
    I know this is and old post but there are no compression fittings installed behind walls or in floors. The only exception would be the vent riser. Cheers
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2012, 06:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bldaz View Post
    I know this is and old post but there are no compression fittings installed behind walls or in floors. The only exception would be the vent riser. cheers
    Can you tell us what in hell you're talking about? Tom
    bldaz Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jul 30, 2012, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Can you tell us what in hell you're talking about? Tom
    Oh, Is thIs the forum board resident crochety old know it all guy?
    You find it nessesary to question because why ? Y
    Do you need code violations for burying machismo cal fasteners under ground or I'm the wall!
    Or do you need an plumbing appretiship ?
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2012, 12:06 PM
    My-my! Aren't we touchy?
    Is thIs the forum board resident crochety old know it all guy?
    Nope! But I am the guy that polices this page for posts that answer 6 year old questions about drainage with nonsense about compression fittings.
    You find it nessesary to question because why ?
    Because I can and it's my job to do so.
    Do you need code violations for burying machismo cal fasteners under ground or I'm the wall!
    We all know you can't bury or hide compression fittings but this knowledge in no way relates to the original question. And wouldn't even if the question wasn't 6 years old.
    Or do you need an plumbing appretiship ?
    I've been plumbing since before you were born. Well over 60 years in the trade. And how long have you been plumbing and just where did you get your license?
    All in all you came on The Plumbing Page as a newbie with a out of date nonsense post and got smart with the wrong guy. Now, cool your jets and if you have anything to add to the page you're welcome to post. Think you can handle that? That? Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing neo angle shower pan basement [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings... I want to replace my neo angle shower walls and floor pan. I have no problem with the door, walls or working around the shower valve but I am stumped as to how to remove the shower pan and drain from the drain line pipe. Its all relatively new plumbing (6 yrs... plastic piping). What...

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

Basement Bathtub Installation [ 9 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement, including a full bath that was roughed in by the builder, and I have a few questions about the bathtub install (a basic 30"x60" porcelain over steel tub). 1. When I attach the drain underneath it raises the tub up slightly. Do I need to shim the tub up, or is...

Replacing a bathroom in a basement [ 4 Answers ]

Okay after 7 years in my house I am finally re-doing my basement. It was finished but the previous owner didn't think the project out very well and he cut a lot of corners. It's taken me several months but I have completely removed everything he did. I assumed the plumbing was roughed in but...

Replacing bathtub and shower fixtures [ 4 Answers ]

(1) When replacing bathtub "snout", shower controls etc.. Do you caulk around the fixtures or use plumbers puddy? The original installation had plumbers puddy. (2) Do you place the caulk so the fixtures "sqeeze" out some material or just inside the fixtures? Example: I've obtain some...

View more questions Search