Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1confused Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2009, 12:27 AM
    Extension for paying SS/Medicare taxes
    I was an F-1 student in the U.S. for more than 5 years and filed taxes as a resident alien.
    The employer, for whom I worked on CPT last summer, did not withdraw SS/Medicare taxes from my salary. I was informed about it during the summer, but didn't realize that these taxes had to be withdrawn (I realized it only recently while preparing my tax forms). I contacted my employer, but apparently, it takes them some time to look at these things.
    As I understand, I will need to file form 8919 and pay my share of unpaid SS/Medicare taxes by April 15.
    For personal reasons (travel abroad), I am planning to file for an automatic 6-month extension for filing federal tax return. Will it also extend the deadline for SS/Medicare tax payment?
    I expect my federal tax return to be ~$3000, while my unpaid SS/Medicare is ~$1500.
    Do I need to do any payment by April 15 to avoid interest and fees if I file for an federal extension?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2009, 06:24 PM

You do not file form 8919. You can not pay FICA taxes yourself. It must be through your employer.
    So file your tax return without any change on your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT to H1 and SS+Medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I've been working since June'08 on OPT. I got my H1 this year and have been on H1 since Oct 1st 2008. No Social Security or Medicare Taxes have been withheld. I understand the taxes need to be deducted for period between Oct 1st to Dec 31st 2008. I received my W-2 couple of days back and emailed...

How to Claim Social Security taxes & medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I worked on my CPT and OPT from July 2006 to June 2008 and paid Social Security taxes & medicare taxes, how can I claim them back? Thank you.

Taxes filing extension for foreigner [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Taxes Experts, I am going back home to Ukraine on March 30. National Institutes of Health are supposed to send my 1042S form to my home address in Ukraine. I am just afraid that it won’t be enough time for me to file taxes. How can I get an extension for filing taxes? I don’t want to break...

Paying ss and medicare tax [ 7 Answers ]

My wife babysits for our son. She will earn 400 per month. She is 6 quarters short on her retirement needed of 40. How can we report these new earnings to IRS so she can receive the credit for the quarters she is working. I have googled everything and can not find this answer. THANKS Jim

E2 visa and paying Medicare and SSR taxes [ 1 Answers ]

As a holder of an E2 investors visa, do I need to pay the 15% taxes for Medicare and Social Security, too? Thanks, Dennis

View more questions Search