Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtmontana Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 08:08 AM
    State Select Water Heater
    Power direct vent water heater blower will not shut off. Plenty of hot water. Gas water heater. 75 gallons. State select model pr6 75n rvt. The blower is integral to the unit. I could not find the exact model number on the web site and did not find the problem under the troubbl shooting guide. The blower runs continueously even after the gas valve is shut off. The water heater is a high efficiency condensing type.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 2, 2006, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmontana
    Power direct vent water heater blower will not shut off. Plenty of hot water.
    We need more details. Gas hot water heater that a power vent won't shut off? Is this vent a part of the heater or a add on? Please explain. Regards, tom

Sep 2, 2006, 11:04 AM
    Power direct vent water heater blower will not shut off. Plenty of hot water. Gas water heater. 75 gallons. State select model pr6 75n rvt. The blower is integral to the unit. I could not find the exact model number on the web site and did not find the problem under the troubbl shooting guide. The blower runs continueously even after the gas valve is shut off. The water heater is a high efficiency condensing type.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 2, 2006, 02:43 PM
    Sorry but State doesn't give me any details and I'm not familiar with your heater. However it isn't too difficult to figure out that the blower control/ thermostat is faulty. Regards, tom
    Scrosby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2006, 10:32 AM
    I have the same model and the same problem- power direct vent is a part of the water heater, it continuously runs. I used State's website- (which I am having a hard time finding now) that indicated the valve in the blower switch may be stuck. I am still checking into this through a local plumber.
    Botkin01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2006, 09:12 AM
    I have the same model and problem. Please post a resolution, if available. Thanks.

UPDATE: State's technical support indicated the solenoid is faulty and the gas controller needs replacement.
    tyggyr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2006, 08:58 AM
    I have a sort-of-fix, though it's not a complete fix.

I have a SS8-75-PQVT water heater also with a blower; sometimes the blower won't turn off, sometimes the heater won't come on.

The reason I've found is that there's a magnetic switch which apparently senses the blower action; the gas won't flow unless the blower's on. This magnetic switch in my case gets stuck in one position or the other.

What I do is... well... whack the front of it with a little hammer I keep nearby. Tap, really, not whack, but still it's a caveman solution.

This switch can be identified by a 2-wire connector coming in just below the heat-level dial (see picture - right in front of the "Caution"). I tap on the "do not grab here" metal cover -

The REAL fix would be to replace the switch which the electric connector attaches to. Of course, I'm not sure what that thing's called, but I know that's what my solution really needs rather than a hammer...
    Chauvin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmontana
    Did you get an answer to this?

Mar 10, 2007, 05:14 PM
    I e-mailed state select which is now owned by AO smith. They are aware of the problem with their heaters and immediately diagnosed the problem as being the gas valve and to remedy the problem directed me to have the gas valve replaced. The valve from the factory cost 250.00. I check local distributers and found one with the valve in stock. Cost 170.00. State provides an additional relay with the replacement which you have to mount and wire. This relay is not part of the original installation. I contacted state to inquire about the relay but state is reluctant to provide information to homeowners. Following the wiring diagram the installation is fairly simple. Make sure you lockout the electric and gas and drain the tank before you start the repair.

The repair required about 4 hours total time.
    Chauvin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 07:07 AM
    Thanks, I was able to repair the gas pressure switch by removing and "tapping" The electrical circuit for the blower is easy, ON? Switch in series with the gas preasure switch. This will start the blower then an air pressure switch senses the air flow and allows the ignitor to light.
    erikf Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2009, 09:09 AM
    I had a similar problem. The electronic diagnostic system said I needed to replace the gas valve - all the lights were lit on diagnostic system. With my model the diagnostic system gives only two solutions: 1. replace valve, as above 2. Turn electric power off to system. Neither of these worked and I was looking at calling the plumber "again" for this State water heater. I tried one more solution, as there is no directions in the manual for resetting the system. I unplugged the clips that attach to the electronic wiring on the bottom of the electronic diagnostic system and that reset the system. I don't understand why turning off the power at the breaker didn't reset the system but this worked!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 29, 2009, 12:12 PM

This is 2006 post...

Eric: if you have question, start new thread...
    askmehelpchris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2009, 12:49 PM
    I have the same pr675nrvt model and experienced the same problem when I returned home from a week long absence. I followed the advice of tyggyr and the blower shut down almost immediately. I ran some hot water to test the system and the switch shut off the blower within a few seconds of the gas shutting down. In my case, it may simply be a result of the long absence - or - a warning of problems to come... thanks for the advice and picture.

I have the same pr675nrvt model and experienced the same problem when I returned home from a week long absence. I followed the advice of tyggyr and the blower shut down almost immediately. I ran some hot water to test the system and the switch shut off the blower within a few seconds of the gas shutting down. In my case, it may simply be a result of the long absence - or - a warning of problems to come... thanks for the advice and picture.
    dlgillett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2009, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the photo tyggyr. It was really helpful. I have a 50 gallon version and the only noticeable difference is that the water temperature adjustment knob is black rather than red like in the photo above.

I also was able to get the relay to disengage by tapping on it. I tried using a piece of wood first but that did not work. A small hammer did the trick. Now, time to find a replacement relay...
    frankn62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2011, 08:24 AM
    The thermocouple on my state select water heater is different than the ones they have at home depo
    gundagiri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2011, 09:33 PM
    tyggyr you are a genius. I did the same using a wooden stick... had to hit the switch few times and it stopped the vent. Thanks a lot.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 21, 2011, 06:05 AM
    Hi Gundagin and welcome to The Plumbing Page on AMHD.
    You piggybacked on a 5 year old dead thread. Before you post look in the upper left hand corner for the date.. Thanks Tom
    Sunshine707 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2011, 06:17 PM
    Thank You so much for all of the help! Your suggestions worked! It was nice to see everyone's post/response all in one place! What a great resource!
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 7, 2011, 07:52 AM
    You're welcome so much! Pop back in any time. Tom
    rockinbob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2012, 11:39 AM
    My state water heater is whistling it stops when I turn on the water but starts back to whistling when I stop

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Hot water heater [ 5 Answers ]

I live in an 8-year old townhouse and have an A.O Smith 50 gallon hot water heater the same age. The plumber told me it needs to be replaced (does this sound like a reasonable time frame for that?) and mentioned something about a wags valve. Is this something I should have installed or is it...

Hot Water Heater [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hot Water Boiler and hot water heater that are constantly going out (pilots) They are both natural gas and use the same chimney from the basement. Any thoughts or suggestions? Sometimes wind is a factor other times it is not.

Water heater [ 6 Answers ]

I wanted to bounce something off you guys about my water heater we just replced on Saturday. After a very long day of problems trying to install this thing because we couldn't get the lines dry enough to solder on the cold supply, we were all ready to pack up and noticed the fittings where the hot...

View more questions Search