Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffp Posts: 30, Reputation: 7

Sep 2, 2006, 05:52 AM
    DSL jack wiring
    Hi,
    I am a total novice to DSL and don't know completely how it works with existing phone lines. Will I have to rewire all of the jacks in my house to split the phone service from the DSL or does the wall jack just split the service? The wiring in my house 25 years old and the multi colored stuff.
    Any enlightenment would be appreciated.
    I couldn't figure out which thread topic this would go under so if another one would get me a response please advise.

Jeff
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2006, 05:55 AM
    Actually the DSL modem does that job. Once you have DSL service on your line you will have to these little filters on all that the jacks in your house except the one that your modem is connected to. Your Internet Service Provider usually has very good graphics and instructions for their users. If you have any problems just post back here. :)
    jeffp Posts: 30, Reputation: 7

Sep 2, 2006, 05:58 AM
    Are these filters something I have to install. The ISP says its installation pack includes a modem, software and instructions.
    Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 2, 2006, 06:12 AM
    DSL filters are extremely simple to fit.
    They just plug into your phone jack and you connect your phone and Modem to the marked sockets.

Have a look here for a picture.

You just need to remember that EVERY phone socket you have something attached to needs to have a filter on it as well.
    rgjoyce Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2006, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffp
    Hi,
    I am a total novice to DSL and don't know completely how it works with existing phone lines. Will I have to rewire all of the jacks in my house to split the phone service from the DSL or does the wall jack just split the service? The wiring in my house 25 years old and the multi colored stuff.
    Any enlightenment would be appreciated.
    I couldn't figure out which thread topic this would go under so if another one would get me a response please advise.

Jeff
    No, Just buy a splitter.
    There should be one supplied in the box with your modem.
    rgjoyce Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2006, 06:40 AM
    I'm looking at the pics linked to above.
    You don't need on on every outlet.
    Are you going to have a computer at every phone port in the house?
    Where the main line comes into the house, insert the splitter, one line goes to the phone system and one goes to the connection where you're going to put the computer.
    Nothing more needed.
    It's what I did and cost me nothing at all.
    The splitter came with the modem.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 10, 2006, 07:00 AM
    rgjoyce, you do need a filter on every socket where you are going to access the phone line, even if it on for a normal phone, as DSL can cause interference with voice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rj 31X phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought aRJ 31X phone jack which is supposed to allow my father in laws life line system to dial out even if his phone is off the hook. I need help hooking this into the existing phone line.

How to change wiring on phone jack for DSL [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I need help! I have only one phone jack in room with computer. It is a separate line and number different from my home phone. I am getting DSL and will no longer need this separate number. When I cancel this number for cpu that line will be dead(I Think). I ordered my DSL on my regular...

Phone jack wiring [ 7 Answers ]

How do I convert jack that was used for a second line back to the primary line?

Jack The Ripper [ 8 Answers ]

I am doing a psychology project on Jack The Ripper. I need to write a report about his psycological make-up, and history. Do you have any information for me? Also, has there been any new evidence proving or disproving who actually committed the murders? Thanks-

Jack black [ 2 Answers ]

I have an assignment for my english class where we are supposed to write a celebrity and try to get their autograph or a letter. And I really really would like jack black or adam sandler's. does anyone know a mailing address that i could write either of these actors/ their publicist's to?

View more questions Search