Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pgm27 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 06:57 PM
    Plaster-lath walls
    I have plaster-lath walls in my house. So I wanted to fix all the imperfections before I painted the room. I am almost done cutting out all the bubbles, cracks.my question is, would it make the job easier if I removed all the old paint since it is so easy to remove as I lightly slide my putty knife through.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2009, 10:32 PM

I would. If you have some impossibles spots just use drywall compound to smooth out the edges if sanding them out is too tough.

If you have used any drywall compound I would put a coat of kills or binz on it. The will stop the new paint from sucking in the wall unevenly. Don't count on a primer sealer to do it. Especially on bare plaster with some paint/compound on it already, too many different mediums here for paint to spread and suck in evenly

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    pgm27 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 11:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    I would. If you have some impossibles spots just use drywall compound to smooth out the edges if sanding them out is too tough.

If you have used any drywall compound I would out a coat of kills or binz on it. The will stop the new paint from sucking in the wall unevenly. Don't count on a primer sealer to do it. Especially on bare plaster with some paint/compound on it already

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    Thanks! Highly appreciated. Excellent:)
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Mar 24, 2009, 12:48 PM
    Be careful when scraping off the paint. Lath and plaster are usually found in older homes that might have lead paint.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2009, 12:55 PM

If the paint comes off this easily then it must be removed. I agree with the other posts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lath and plaster wall damage. [ 1 Answers ]

We have a lath and plaster wall that has cracks and bubbles which have occurred over a period of about 10 years. It is confined to one wall and there is a large window over the area but we see no evidence of water damage or leaks. Our home is located in a cold climate and not in California...

Attaching stucco lath to walls [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am going to stucco the exterior walls and had a question. Does anyone recommend using screws rather than nails to attach the lath to the sheathing? It is 5/8 plywood sheathing. Also, since I am doing this myself I most likely will not be able to apply the coat to the entire house before...

Plaster walls [ 7 Answers ]

Hello what is the best way to cover plaster wall holes about 3" big

Repairing Plaster & Lath [ 2 Answers ]

I started repairing some gaping holes in the ceilings and walls, tacking up wire mesh to the lath, and then applying a rough mix of plaster and cement or gypsum and plaster. Now I'm applying finishing coats of just plaster, feathering it out as far as I can, and wondering if there are better...

View more questions Search