Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcdswilliams Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Dog won't stop peeing
    I have a 8month old Female German Shepherd. Every time I walk up to her she pees. Sometime multiple times in a few seconds. She only does this for me, no one else in the family. How can I stop this?
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Mar 20, 2009, 12:20 PM

How long has she done this? Have you ever hit her or used force in any way when training?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dcdswilliams View Post
    I have a 8month old Female German Shepherd. Everytime I walk up to her she pees. Sometime multiple times in a few seconds. She only does this for me, no one else in the family. How can I stop this?

I have had GSD, any number of them. Your dog is afraid of you and showing that she is submissive.

Mar 23, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxkit View Post
    How long has she done this? Have you ever hit her or used force in any way when training?
    Just the usual smack when she did something wrong when we first got her, but she just started peeing

Mar 23, 2009, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I have had GSD, any number of them. Your dog is afraid of you and showing that she is submissive.
    So how do I stop it?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 01:33 PM

Reward her love and respect for you. Treat her well, even if she is peeing when she interacts with you. Ignore the pee and clean it up calmly when she isn't near. Don't approach her when she is on the carpet. When she is peeing in an appropriate place, pet and praise her like she just gave you a billion dollars. She will begin to understand that interaction with you equals praise and petting, or a treat. Peeing in appropriate places also wins your approval.

Remember that dogs, unlike many of us, do not need praise and approval all of the time. Don't feel like you're doing something wrong if you just go about your usual activities.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Mar 23, 2009, 01:36 PM

Just the usual smack when she did something wrong
    Well there's your problem. Stop using physical force with this dog. This is clearly a very sensitive dog and she is scared of you and the submissive urination is a sign of that. NEVER hit your dog for submissive urination as it will only reinforce the fear and behavior as well as being just down right cruel. You are going to have to rebuild your dogs faith in you. Don't make a big deal out of greeting your dog. The excitement in your voice and greeting can be a signal to your dog that he should submit to your entrance and respond with submissive urination. Just let your dog come to you. She will relax once he knows this is not a time for her to respond to dominant behavior by submissive urination.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2009, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dcdswilliams View Post
    Just the usual smack when she did something wrong when we first got her, but she just started peeing

The usual smack? What did that entail? Whatever it was, it obviously made her afraid of you.

Now you have to rebuild her trust and confidence - and it takes a long time.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 23, 2009, 08:24 PM

GSD's are one of the most sensitive breeds and many cannot tolerate physical reprimands without "shutting down". She is showing you that she is submissive--it is a acknowledgement that she perceives your status to be higher and your proper response is to not continue to be threatening.
    Silverfox is right on target. Don't do direct greetings right now. Don't approach her directly--if you need to walk past her turn sideways and don't look at her.
    Any interactions with her need to be low-key, quiet and indirect. Sit on the floor, turned slightly away from her, and allow her to come to you. Pet gently from under the chin, and make no eye contact. She is smart enough to figure out that you two are starting over, although it may take a while.
    Get some good books and begin a lot of positive reinforcement training that will help her gain confidence.
    German Shepherds are a balancing act. They need good, consistent and firm leadership, yet some of them become basket cases the second you become overly assertive. You have learned the hard way that physical correction is too much for this dog, and you will have to find that fine line of verbal and body language that will communicate discipline with confidence and trust.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can't stop my dog from peeing all over my house! [ 18 Answers ]

I have 1-1/2 year old male rat terrier who urinates in every room in my house! My boyfriend and I have trained him to whine at the door when he needs to go out, which he does do, and we will bring him for a walk and he will do his business outside, we will reward him with a treat after he goes...

How do I get my dog to stop peeing when he is excited? [ 5 Answers ]

My dog sees me and gets excited and sometimes will pee no matter where he is. Is there any way to brake him of this?

How do I get my dog to STOP PEEING. [ 5 Answers ]

It's driving us insane. Our dog Jack is a 5-year-old shephard mix, about 40lbs, and has never done his business in the house save for a couple of poopy accidents if he didn't get let out in time (but NEVER pee). Over the last couple of months, though, we've come home to find HUGE pee areas on the...

My dog can't stop peeing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there I have a 4month old dog he goes out to do his business then when he comes back in all he does is wee its as if he can't stop he will have a wee and by the time I've cleaned it up he will av done another wee. Help what's wrong with my dog does he have a weak bladder.:confused: :confused:

View more questions Search