Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weathergirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2006, 06:38 PM
    2-handle central brass faucet woes
    Hello. One day I went to turn off the hot water in my bathroom sink, and the handle just turned round and round. I shut water off underneath sink and scurried to Lowe's where I bought a kit to replace the handles and stems. I now have the handle off, and have unscrewed the stem as far as I can, and cannot get it out. I have the seat wrench for the next step, but don't know why I can't get the stem out. I pulled the nasty old washer off. Should this stem unscrew further or pull out? Also, what's the diff betw the hot water stem and the cold one? I notice the washers are diff, but which is which? Thanks
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2006, 08:44 PM
    How did you see the washers to get them off if you can not get the stems out.?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 2, 2006, 05:55 AM
    Letmetellu, I think he was referring to the bonnet packing washers on the stem.

"Should this stem unscrew further or pull out?" The stem should unscrew counterclockwise. If it sticks put a pair of pliers on it.

On most faucets the stems screw in clockwise so the stems are the same, however on some faucets that have cartridge type stems the hot and cold are different. TIP: Buy some plumbers heat proof grease and lube the threads on the stems. Good luck, Tom

Sep 5, 2006, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Letmetellu, I think he was referring to the bonnet packing washers on the stem.

"Should this stem unscrew further or pull out?" The stem should unscrew counterclockwise. If it sticks put a pair of pliers on it.

On most faucets the stems screw in clockwise so the stems are the same, however on some faucets that have cartridge type stems the hot and cold are different. TIP: Buy some plumbers heat proof grease and lube the threads on the stems. good luck, Tom
    Thanks so much for your tip! However, while the stem is turning counter clockwise, it feels as if whatever it's attached to is turning along with it. Therefore, it turns and turns and will not come out. I've pushed in and turned and pulled out and turned to no avail. When I turn it clockwise, it appears to unscrew and come out toward me, but then it stops at a certain point and will not turn anymore. This faucet is set into the back wall of this sink, not on top, if that matters. I can't believe I cannot get this stem out. Any further suggetions? Thank you!
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2006, 02:43 PM
    Can you take a picture of the faucet and send it to me here? Can you give me a brand name so I can look it up? Tom

Sep 5, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Can you take a picture of the faucet and send it to me here? Can you give me a brand name so I can look it up? Tom
    I hope the attachment comes through with the pic of the sink. It is a Central Brass brand fixture. Thanks... DeniseName:  Image008.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  20.7 KB
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 6, 2006, 05:56 AM
    You must first remove the chrome cover plate. This unscrews counterclockwise. After you get itboff there will be a brass nut that also unscrews. Unscrew that and the stem should come right out. Good luck, Tom

Sep 12, 2006, 01:37 PM
    You must first remove the chrome cover plate. This unscrews counterclockwise. After you get itboff there will be a brass nut that also unscrews. Unscrew that and the stem should come right out. Good luck, Tom
    Hello again. I got the stem out with no problem, thank you. Now , the next dilemma is that the stem was way longer than the one that came in the central brass replacement set I'd purchased. I ended up just putting new washers on, and putting it back together, but I know this will be a temp fix as the stem/seat look pretty worn. Now from checking online, couild it be that my stem is a "slo-close"? Googled "old central brass stems" and came across line drrawing that resembled lenghth of my stem. What an adventure! Denise
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2006, 01:05 PM
    Hi Denise,

Why not take the old stem in to a plumbing shop and ask them to match it? Regards, Tom
    mepiper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Hi:

First, the left and right are threaded differently (You must have the "handle" type rather than the "knob" type on/off controls. The handle type turn opposite from each other to turn on and off.

Now that you have the stems off, I would take them to a plumbers supply shop and let them match them for you. As you mentioned though, new washers may not last long. I've changed mine 3 time over the last 6 years or so. Also, if you really want to get it back to new, you have to take the bottom part of the control out from the sink and you can remove and replace the seats inside. You will need a special tool (looks like an L shaped bar with one end a 4 sided and the other a 6 sided tool that goes into the seat and unscrews the seat). If you order the seats at a plumbing supplies shop they'll probably replace them for you on the spot or you can buy the tool (seems like it costs around 10 bucks). That might allow the washers a longer life and a better fit to prevent drips.

Hope it helps, I've had a difficult time with the central brass faucets and am changing over to another brand completely.

Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loose faucet handle [ 12 Answers ]

We just installed a new Price Fister faucet in our kitchen sink. The lever that turns the water on doesn't stay up unless you hold it (up is on, down is off). We can't lift the handle halfway to get only a little water because the handle falls to the off position immediately. Is there a screw to...

Help with a Peerless Two Handle Kitchen Faucet w/Sprayer [ 4 Answers ]

Culprit: Peerless Two Handle Kitchen Faucet w/Sprayer Two part question: 1) Need instructions and photo illustrations (if possible) on fixing a dripping faucet; and 2) same for separate sprayer worked fine just after install but now it does not spray. A slight stream of water is coming from the...

Low hot water pressure from kichen faucet only- 1 handle faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. My question is similar to one asked a few posts ago except this is a 1 handle faucet. I plan on maintaining the boiler from now on but I have to fix the flow problem first. I disconnected the hot water supply line to the faucet and the pressure is excellent so I assume the problem is in the...

Brass drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I am completing a bar unit which is using an existing drain waste system. I have seen a thin walled brass drain pipe at my local plumbing store and would like to use this but when I have tested it I cannot get a good seal and continually get small leaks. The pipe has a threaded collar at one end...

Kitchen faucet handle [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to get off my kitchen faucet handle (single faucet) but the hex nut that unlocks it will not turn. Any suggestions how to unloosen the hex nut? I tried vinegar and oil with no success. It is a Kohler single faucet kitchen sink. Thanks, gatnus

View more questions Search