Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xbatgyrlx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 08:04 PM
    Do I pay taxes if someone makes me power of attorney for five million dollars?
    I have someone that wants to make me power of attorney over his family inheritance estate. He wants to give me five million dollars to take care of whatever he needs, am I suppose to pay taxes on that money?
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 20, 2009, 09:25 AM

Sounds like a scam. If it is not a scam, you should discuss this with an attorney.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 20, 2009, 09:35 AM

Ah - the Nigerian Prince scam! I bet next this guy is going to say you have to pay him some sort of transfer fee, and then he'll want to know your bank information so he can "deposit" the money there. You should run - not walk - away!

But to your tax question - if in fact someone wants to give you power of attorney over their finances there are no direct tax implications for you. If he was to make a gift of the money to you - for example if you set up a joint account that lets you use as much of the money as you want for your own personal use - then the money would be a gift from him to you and he (not you) would have some gift-tax issues. But again - in this case would not owe any taxes.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 20, 2009, 11:02 AM

If a joint bank account is set up, the gift does not occur until the cash is withdrawn.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 20, 2009, 11:09 AM

A POA empowers a person to act in place of the grantor, if the grantor is unable to act.

I can't imagine someone paying a lay person $5m to do this. Maybe paying a lawyer, but then a lawyer wouldn't ask this question.

So yes, this sounds like a scam.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2009, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xbatgyrlx View Post
    He wants to give me five million dollars to take care of whatever he needs, am I suppose to pay taxes on that money?
    Hello x:

Sure. You work for him. He pays you an income. You pay income taxes on your income. That's the way it works here in America.

Where can I find work like that?

excon
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 20, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Yep I agree that sounds like a classic 419er there.
    RUN AWAY!!

They WILL be asking for some sort of processing fee next ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1 million dollars [ 6 Answers ]

I have silver coin certificate of 1928, B 23137201 N. the face value is one million. I want to know how much that costs?

Investing 1 Million Dollars [ 3 Answers ]

Everyone I am a 41 YO Male and my mom is 65 YO, we recently won a malpractice Lawsuit worth 3.5 million dollars. The lawyer will take 700K and the Insurance company Will get their money they paid out medically so that is 375K. My questions is this, what Would you do with 1.1 Million dollars...

Power of attorney [ 3 Answers ]

Can you get a power of attorney for a person than can no longer write or comprehend what you are asking? The person is terminally ill, in hospice.

Investing 1 million dollars? [ 10 Answers ]

My husband is being forced to sell a large piece of property in W. Tx. It should net around 1.5- 2.0 million. With taxes and realestate fee's I'm conservativly giving us in pocket around 1.3. I want to invest 1 million in a VERY secure way, with almost none to no risk. We lost an inheritance...

View more questions Search