Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2009, 07:53 PM
    Cleaning my computer safely
    My computer is ,I am quite sure filled with tobacco and dust and I want to clean it before it fries like its two predecessors.

I have cleaned fans and so forth before but my sons tell me the dust is a conduit to a short so I have to take it apart.

I just want to suck it all out with a vacuum hose and that's it.

I can't fry another one with this nasty habit.:eek:
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 09:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    My computer is ,I am quite sure filled with tobacco and dust...I just want to suck it all out with a vacuum hose and that's it.
    Heh, you're in for a treat when you open the computer up if the computer has some age. The smoke, tar, and dust congeals into a yellow sticky gooey mess that cannot be blown off with the typical can duster or sucked off with a vac. I have a shop vac and an air compressor at the shop for cleaning and they are marginally effective. The stuff has to be scrubbed off - usually not worth the time involved compared to the cost of a replacement part such as a power supply which would have to be opened up and cleaned (DO NOT DO THIS - Electrocution Hazard).

As far as safety is concerned with a standard house vac, static electricity can buildup on the nozzle and potentially damage components. Avoid touching anything with the nozzle. Also ground yourself by touching the computer's metal chassis. This should be done with the power cord installed (provides path to ground), the power cord then disconnected, and wait for the motherboard to drain before actual cleaning. Some boards have a little LED light that will go out in ~30 seconds to indicate board is depowered. Once grounded, minimize movement that could create additional static due to carpet, sneakers, curious fluffy kitty, etc.

Good luck...
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2009, 09:20 PM

Had to spread the rep Scleros . Wanted to give you a greenie for good answer. Rules and rules :)
    Thanks for the info, I guess you are telling me what my kids did.
    I am so paranoid of a shock that I won't play with this at all.
    Much appreciated.Have a good one!
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Mar 20, 2009, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I am so paranoid of a shock that I won't play with this at all.
    I may have given the wrong impression. You can certainly open the computer up and attempt to dust and clean it without serious risk of shock. The power supply component however is another matter and should be replaced if substantially dirty, fan stopped, etc. instead of cleaning attempted.

I don't know if the smoke/dust mixture is conductive or not. The goo does interfere with fan performance and probably also acts as an insulator on heat sinks leading to overheating failures. An example of the airflow impediment it can cause is shown for the processor heat sink for Computer #3 at Computer Killers - Pet Hair, Dust and Cigarette Smoke.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canning salsa safely [ 9 Answers ]

I recently canned a dozen jars of salsa. I sampled the salsa a few days ago and realized there is not enough tomato, too much vinegar, and it is not spicy enough. Does anyone know if it would be safe for me to open all the jars, make the adjustments and then re-do the sterlizing process? Any...

How to comminicate safely to sprit [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everyone I am very interested in mediumistic subjects I have lost people to sprit and miss them I can't afford to get a reading as single parent and resources tight can anyone help me find out how to comminicate safely to sprit myself thanks :)

Computer cleaning [ 9 Answers ]

How do I perminantly delete items (files) to give my computer more memory space? In the process of defraging my system, but after deleting a lot of files, I still seem to have the same amount to defrag after that. What's my next plan of attack? Thanks for your input

Squating safely [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a website that has video of the proper way to squat (weighted).

Safely covering an outlet [ 4 Answers ]

I have an outlet in my floor that I don't often use. I don't want to completely remove it but it is ugly and I would like to cover it with a rug. I worry though, about that being a fire hazard. Is there something I can safely cover the outlet with before I put down the rug? Thanks!

View more questions Search