Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 05:35 PM
    Consult with engineer before tiling?
    When tiling a room that has never been tiled before, is it ever necessary to consult with a building inspector or engineer to assess the structure of a floor? (I'm referring to a kitchen on a first floor above a full basement). It currently has peel and stick tiles. Thanks for any advice or other tips.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Mar 19, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Hi,

In most cases it is not necessary to consult an engineer unless you've modified the structure or it is an especially large or unusual area. Assuming the house was built to normal residential standards you should be OK for ceramic tiles. However, we always recommend inspecting and consulting a span chart for the joists and speaking with a knowledgeable tile setter for recommendations about the framing, subfloor sheeting and the best method of installation for your case.

Please tell me; the type and size of the joists, their spacing, the unsupported span. If possible also the species and grade. Also need to know the type, thickness and number of layers of subfloor over the joists. The kind of tile you're planning, size etc.

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get a license as marine engineer for third engineer in U.S.A. Or U.K [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a student in South Korea and I also have Third engineer license for working on a merchant ship in Korea. But I want get a license in U.S.A or U.K. So could you tell me what I have to do for this. I want work in a U.S.A company or U.K one having a license which I will get a...

Who to consult about body building? [ 1 Answers ]

Im curious who would be able to help me best. I want to start working out, I want to get very muscular everywhere so that I look better. Im fairly skinny, so I hear it wouln't be that hard for me. Who would be the best person to consult about how a person my weight, height, etc could build a lot...

Which company I should consult to get a good rate for buidling my website. [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking to develop my own website but would like to know where I can go and find some good rates based on my specifications. My budged is around ~$2000 and the website I am looking for will be database-driven where users will create memberships and post blogs. I am familiar with basic web...

Marine engineer license for a second engineer [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir or madom What is the Prossure in uptaining an second marine engineer license ,

View more questions Search