Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melinda1968 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 05:24 PM
    Grandparents rights after baby is adopted
    I live in WV and my daughter let a couple adopt her baby. They are very good people. They promised we would be able to see the baby and did until the adoption was final. Now I have not seen my granddaughter in almost 2 years and she will be 3 in August 2009. Do I have legal rights for visitation, even if supervised. I am only asking to see her a couple times a year, even though I want more. I would settle for seeing her on her birthday and around Christmas. Can I get any help with this. Do I have rights.
    Melinda1968 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 05:27 PM
    Can an adoption be terminated after a couple of years
    My daughter is incarcerated and could not keep her baby. When she went to court she was persuaded into letting this couple adopt the baby. They have had her for most of her life. She will be 3 in August. Can my daughter get her parental rights back if she is doing the right thing?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2009, 05:30 PM

Highly unlikely. An adoption is essentially final. It would take some unusual circumstances to overturn an adoption.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2009, 05:35 PM

I've merged your threads since they deal with the same issue.

Do you have anything in writing about allowing you to see the child? While some states do have grandparent rights laws, they generally would not cover a situation like this. I would consult with an attorney.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2009, 04:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda1968 View Post
    I live in WV and my daughter let a couple adopt her baby. They are very good people. They promised we would be able to see the baby and did until the adoption was final. Now I have not seen my granddaughter in almost 2 years and she will be 3 in August 2009. Do I have legal rights for visitation, even if supervised. I am only asking to see her a couple times a year, even though I want more. I would settle for seeing her on her birthday and around Christmas. Can I get any help with this. Do I have rights.
    No - you don't. Sorry. It's a horrible deal, but that's how adoption works.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 20, 2009, 05:22 AM

With an adoption having happened, you are not legally the grandparent anymore.

Therefore, you have no rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandparents want my unborn baby [ 5 Answers ]

Hello well where shall I start,been with my partner for a year now I'm 19 he is 32 a bit of a gap, I'm 38 weeks pregnant, when we first met I lived at home with my dad and he lived in at work(hotel) witch was where we met, he lived about 200 miles away from his parents so didn't see them often,...

Grandparents rights after termination of rights over parents [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother of two children and my mother relinquished her rights of me and my sister when I was 12. Now here is my question... my mother wants to go for grandparents vistitaion for my children and my sisters and she is willing to got to court for it. I was told by my CPS worker that she...

Grandparents rights [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am a career counselor for youth. Some of my clients are being raised by their grandparents. Some of my clients have been with their grandparents for over 10 years. Is there a magic number that legally says that the grandparents are the legal guardians? What determines legal guardianship....

Grandparents Rights [ 10 Answers ]

Hey, I need to ask a question. Me and my husband are married and his mother is very mad at us because we don't take our newborn son to her house every weekend all the way to her house, which is 45 minutes away to see her. She called the other day and we wasn't home and left us a message saying...

Nursing and adopted baby? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to nurse a newborn that you have adopted? Is there anyway to start producing milk?

View more questions Search