Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SingingForHim Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 04:53 PM
    Wood, Vinyl or Aluminum Mini Blinds?
    Hi...

I'm planning on installing mini blinds in my living room, which faces South. Since the blinds will receive full sun, which would be my best pick... wood, vinyl or aluminum? I'd love to get wood, but I'm concerned about them not standing up to the direct sun.

Anyone have any experience with wood blinds in sunlight? How about vinyl or aluminum... what are the best applications for them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2009, 01:29 AM

Hi, SingingForHim!

Just in my own experience with blinds, there are various types of vinyl ones. Some of them that I've seen will tend to develop a sag if exposed to the sun too long. Anything made of wood that is stained and might have another type of finish on it if left in the sun too long, the color will fade and the wood can also develop dry-rot.

Given your situation, my suggestion would be to go with the aluminum ones.

Thanks!
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 20, 2009, 07:31 AM

I went through this and ended up buying Faux Wood blinds from Bali (at Home Depot), that was 2 years ago and they still look exactly the same. I ended up putting them in a rental unit too as they were a good price and better quality than aluminum.

Bali -Blinds & Shades | Faux Wood Blinds
    markjones80 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 09:32 AM
    I love my wooden blinds.

They make my rooms feel homely

I got made to measure wooden blinds from here:

Wooden Blinds - made to measure wooden blinds online from 247blinds.co.uk

Go with wooden :rolleyes:
    Brookfres Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2009, 02:10 PM
    I like the wood too, Ive got them in my south facing office, and its like a boiler room in here
    Have a look at The Blind Factory they have some blinds that reflect the heat if that's an issue.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 01:46 AM

That's interesting and informative information from you to know, Brookfres!

Thanks!
    mailyose Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 09:45 AM
    I would say, u go with your choice of material... for sun light... u can manage them with a window film, make sure to have one with a sun screen and UV resistance one.
    Dany11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 05:15 AM
    Hi SingingForHim! I believe that wood blinds are just what you need. Wood blinds provide great insulation and they are usually treated in quality top coats designed to prevent colour fading from occurring. I bought my made to measure wood blinds from here Blindsuk - Website Review of Blindsuk.net - TalkReviews.com
    levolorsucks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2012, 07:18 AM
    Levolor intentionally make weaker cords than in the past so the cord breaks and you buy new blinds every few months or so. Instead, buy lighter, aluminium blinds or go to Lowe's or HOME DEPOT or where you bought them from and ask for free replacement. Always keep your receipt, but the store should be able and willing to replace the blinds for you for free even if you got no receipt and if they got the same blinds still for sale. For peace of mind buy aluminium blinds of another manufacturer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DIY Roman Blinds? [ 2 Answers ]

I was thinking of making my own window drapery in a style known as "roman blinds". Was wondering where to purchase the needed hardware? Such as pull string roller and locking mechanism. Thanks! Knucklez

How to replace damaged old wood casement windows with a vinyl casement window? [ 3 Answers ]

I have very old Pella Wood interior casement windows where the sashes are starting to sag. I want to replace them with a vinyl casement window, but I don't know how to get rid of the old hardware in order to put in a vinyl casement window. I have vinyl siding with j-channel applied to the siding....

Vinyl vs. Aluminum gutters [ 3 Answers ]

I need to replace an old wooden gutter. Are aluminum or vinyl gutters better? Thanks!

Wood vinyl floors [ 2 Answers ]

I have vinyl wood floors and I mop them 2 times a day and they use to be shinny but now they have a white gloss over them and no matter how much I mop them or scrub them it doesn't go away what can I do to fix this problem cause it is making me feel like my floors are dirty when I know that I mop...

Hanging mini blinds on replacement windows [ 2 Answers ]

Can mini blinds be hung on vinyl replacement windows or will that ruin them? I really don't want to hand them on the moulding, but will if that is the only option to keep the windows intact. Thanks!

View more questions Search