Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    red51931 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2006, 11:27 AM
    Wiring issue with a Hunter Ceiling fan
    Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

I just moved into a brand new home and the Master Bedroom is pre-wired for a ceiling fan. It has two wall switches, one to control the light and one for the fan. The Hunter fan has a black, a white, a black/white and two green wires.

The prewire coming from the ceiling has a black, a red, a tan, and a copper wire.

The instructions for installation aren't clear which wires I attach to which wires.

I decided to connect the balck to the black, the red to the white, the tan to the black/white, and the 2 grounds to the copper wire.

What did I do wrong? The fan is definitely not working properly. Which wires connect to which and do I need to attach both greens to the copper wire?

HELP!! This is quickly becoming a disaster!!

Dan
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 1, 2006, 02:33 PM
    First the ceiling Junction box:

A 3C cable has a Red, Black, White (it may look tan to you) and a bare.

White (tan) is always neutral (also called common).

Bare is for bonding.

That leaves the black and the red for power (one to power the fan and one to power the light).

2nd the fan:
    White goes to tan (which is actully white)
    Black to black
    Black/White to red
    Green to green to bare.

That should work!
    red51931 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2006, 03:41 PM
    Thank you very much!! It works great!!

Dan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter Thermostat wiring [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I seem to have "developed" a problem tonight. I just removed my old manual thermo and labeled the wiring accordingly. It looked the heat hot came into a spot labeled "4". Then it was jumpered to Rc. So when I hooked up the Hunter programmable 44360, there was already a jumper between Rc and...

Hunter Ceiling Fan Model 23783 [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any problem piggy backing the electrical hook-up to the fan via the Hunter "Ceiling/Fan & Light Control (27183) to an exsisting wall outlet.

HELP! Wiring a pull chain in a Hunter ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my 81 year old mother's ceiling fan pull chain broke off inside the switch. I was careful when I changed the switches, only changing one color at a time. It didn't work, so I called my electrician brother-in-law who discombooberated the whole mess, told me the switch I got was bad and went on...

Carrier to Hunter wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I recently moved into an apartment with a very old Carrier thermostat (I think, too old to tell what it is). The wiring of this current unit is as follows: R O G1 Y W2 C I would like to exchange this unit for a Hunter programmable thermostat with the following terminals:

Hunter Ceiling Fan Light Installation [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house with a Hunter ceiling fan with remote (no light). I went to the store and purchased a light to go with it. The instructions on the light say that I have to dismantle the entire remote system by unplugging it, but I don't see where I can do this. There are 2 black boxes with wires...

View more questions Search