Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schlepsl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Hipaa or privacy in the workplace violation?
    I was diagnosed with a condition, and in the process of getting "work" to approve my time off, some fellow managers had lets others know of my condition, by sharing what and why I was out! This had been expressly stated that I did NOT want anyone to know! So needless to say, it is out all over the company, and I haven't said a word!
    Any laws broken here? I did speak with HR rep, and she said yeah, it shouldn't have happened, and was handled inappropriate.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2009, 11:26 AM

It was handled inappropriately; I don't know what your occupation is, but I assume your managers aren't bound by HIPAA law so there's no violation. What reason did they give you as to why they shared your information with other employees?

You can contact the higher up or file a complaint with HR, but there's not really much to be accomplished. Your condition was revealed and you can't undo that aspect of it.
    SMUSS1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2012, 11:58 AM
    Per employee request, I sent an email to our manager letting him know that an employee's wife had a 5 hour foot surgery and was doing fine. Our manager had requested the information. I work in an electrical engineering / consulting firm. Did I violate a HIPPA law of sharing another person's medical condition to another person by sending the email to my manager, instead of walking to his office and telling him directly? Thank you for any help.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2012, 12:38 PM
    The employee asked you to give this info to the Manager?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 1, 2012, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SMUSS1 View Post
    ... Did I violate a HIPPA law ...
    No. HIPAA doesn't apply to electrical engineering / consulting firms. It only applies to medical care providers.
    dumbo1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 01:58 PM
    This is a round-about way of this question (bare with me please). :)

My boss has asked me to not wear my head attire (scarves around my head) in the office place because she's concerned that it's raising concern for clients & co-workers (them asking her) if I have cancer? I do not, but I thought ("do I need to tell her - do I need to tell anyone"?) She went to tell me "though it is not in the handbook... unless it's a medical reason, I wish you not to wear your scarves like that anymore".

Is that right? I was insulted (naturally) but I felt violated with her intimidation of that question.

Is she in right to know "why" I wear or do something for my privacy reasons?

Thank you,
    Expert

Oct 19, 2012, 02:35 PM
    It's none of her business what medical condition you may or might not have. But another way of looking at it is that she does have the right to be concerned that customers will be put off by your attire. And for that reason, or for no reason, your employer can let you go, if it chooses to (absent an employment contract - and an employee handbook may constitute such a contract.). So, if you desire to keep your job (or avoid litigation over an arguable handbook-contract issue), you will work with her on this.

(bare with me please). :)
    No pun intended? (The word you want is "bear".)
    dumbo1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2012, 02:37 PM
    Thank you for your advice. :)

I am just concerned as to where the line is drawn in the work place for "discrimnation" & unrightful accusations (?)?

Boss allows me to wear the attire ONLY if it pertains to medical reasons (so it IS permissible upon reason). I just think that's wrong. But I guess I am understanding that the work place can do whatever they want in that matter?

PS> (lol) thanks for the correction (bare). :)
    rrossley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2013, 09:17 AM
    When I call in sick I give my department manager an explainantion to my illness, so she may provied that information to the company owners, upon their request. Is there a violation in my privacy when this information is shared with my fellow co-workers? We do not have a HR, and we must comply with HIPPA.
    Expert

Mar 5, 2013, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rrossley View Post
    When I call in sick I give my department manager an explainantion to my illness, so she may provied that information to the company owners, upon their request. Is there a violation in my privacy when this information is shared with my fellow co-workers? We do not have a HR, and we must comply with HIPPA.
    Violation of your privacy? Probaby.

Violation of HIPAA? No. See above.
    securityjob2013 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2013, 10:45 AM
    I have a question, I work for a Security Company that is contracted in hospitals'
    Im a Supervisor and a worker, my co-worker called me and said he was taking a couple of days off and he found another worker to cover his shift. He then told me his fiancé was attacked and almost killed. I shared this information with a charge nurse of the E.R. dept. and the co-workers wife never came to our hospital for treatment, and I got termanated for violating HIPAA. Is this fair?
    Maybe poor jugement, just cared and when asked where the employee was I said it, I was never told by the employee not too?

Thank you,
    Expert

Sep 12, 2013, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by securityjob2013 View Post
    I have a question, I work for a Security Company that is contracted in hospitals'
    Im a Supervisor and a worker, my co-worker called me and said he was taking a couple of days off and he found another worker to cover his shift. He then told me his fiance was attacked and almost killed. I shared this information with a charge nurse of the E.R. dept. and the co-workers wife never came to our hospital for treatment, and I got termanated for violating HIPAA. Is this fair?
    Maybe poor jugement, just cared and when asked where the employee was I said it, I was never told by the employee not too?

Thank you,

You should have started a new thread. Going on an old thread is inviting confusion.

Someone should split it off.

Anyway, whether it is fair or not is beside the point.

Is it a violation of HIPAA? No. Although your employer may have a contract with a health care provider, the information you gave out was not gleaned from them, as I understand it. HIPAA doesn't apply.

Is it fair? That's a matter of opinion. Is it illegal to fire you? Probably not, unless you have an employment contract which prohibits your employer from firing you under these circumstances, an employer doesn't need a reason to let an employee go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

HIPAA/Privacy Act Violation [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I was taken by ambulance to a hospital for an accidental overdose. I was admitted to the ICU for the night. An acquaintance works for another ambulance co. that works for the hospital. She saw that my name was on the treatment board in the ER and wanted to know what I was doing there. ...

HIPAA in the workplace [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I read through all the archives but I still have a specific question that I need answered. I work for a medical billing department. We are in cubicals and the woman next to me has had a serious condition in the past that she has openly discussed with other people. She has recently had a...

HIPAA violation, invasion of privacy, slander, etc. [ 4 Answers ]

At Seton Medical in Daly City, I was treated the most disrespectfully and horribly ever in my life. They didn't listed to anything I said. This was alll after I disclosed me history of drug use, I have beenh clean for over ten years, but they wouldn't believe a word from my after hearing this. They...

Privacy in the workplace [ 10 Answers ]

I work as an admin assistant in MA. Last week I called in because my daughter was sick and I needed to take her to the doctor(left my supervisor a message). When I returned to work the next day everybody is asking me how my daughter was doing, I just want to know is it legal for my supervisor to...

View more questions Search