Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    14jazmine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 07:32 PM
    Never served

A judgment has been filed against me. I was never served with the lawsuit. The lawsuit was served on another person.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 05:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 14jazmine View Post
    A judgment has been filed against me. I was never served with the lawsuit. the lawsuit was served on another person.

Then you go back to the same Court and get the Judgment set aside for a defect - no service, bad service, wrong name, whatever happened.

If the papers were meant for you, you will be properly served and there will be another Hearing.

If the papers were not meant for you, the creditor will go away.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2009, 06:30 AM

First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

As Judy said, you go back to the court that issued the judgement and file a Motion to Vacate on the grounds of improper service. If the judge deems there was improper service, the judgement will be vacated and the plaintiff will serve you before you leave the court. You will then get a chance to fight the suit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served or not? [ 3 Answers ]

If you received a summons to court and it was taped to the front door of a condo complex( 18 condos in the building), Is that considered that you were served? Just wondering? THANKS!

Been Served! [ 1 Answers ]

After being served custody papers that stated my 5 year old sons father get full custody and me (the mom that has lived with and raised my son with his father in the same house for the last 5 years) only get visitation. We have already mediated and we both will have our son 50/50. What I want to...

Being served [ 5 Answers ]

In the state of California, is it lawful to serve someone a summons to appear in court by leaving the paperwork with someone that the defendant knows or on their door step? I never received the summons or knew I was being sued, judgement was ordered against me and now my wages are being attached...

Got served [ 3 Answers ]

I was served papers to respond within 20 days or court will proceed without me. I did with a paralegal who responed to the court and the banks lawyer. Question is , can they still come to the house and take things for fair market value ? My wife couldn't pay the van no more and they auctioned it...

View more questions Search