Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BRycraft Posts: 111, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2009, 05:53 AM
    1996 Mercury Villager Engine Knock
    Need some advise, I have a 1996 Mercury Villager with a 3.0L engine that has 128K miles on it that has been very well maintained over the last 10 years or so that we have owned it always have the oil changed and any other repairs that were needed. Last summer we had an oil leak that we took in for repair, the front main seal was leaking, so they replaced that seal and the cam seal started leaking so that was replaced along with the water pump and timing belt, then the rear main seal started leaking, so that was replaced, eventually the front started leaking again, so I took it in to get looked at and was told that it was under warranty and they called Ford and was told an oversized sleeve was to be installed and then a new seal, so they did that, had it for 2 days and no charge, no leak which I was pleased.
    However after driving it I noticed an engine knock that I never had before, so I called them and brought it back in, they told me that it was in fact a low end knock coming from the front of the motor which is where is does sound like it is coming from, they assured me that there was nothing they could have done that would have damaged the internals of the motor and it was just unfortunate timing that the engine is basically shot and best action is to get a bone yard engine and swap it out looking around $2K which is more then the van is worth. Tearing the motor apart looking for where the noise is coming from could get expensive and additional problems could arise like the oil leak moving around as they repaired one another started. Are they lying to me, could this new sleeve put some pressure on the bearing or whatever or are they accurate that it was just unfortunate that they spent all that time working on it for free. I also had brought it in for a front end alignment and they told me it was perfect all my front end work was in no need of repair as I had most everything repaired over the years and I had a tire that had a belt that had slipped and to return it for warranty because they moved the tires around and the pull would move from left to right, they didn't charge me for any of that time, nor did they charge me for the oil change they did to the engine. These people have always been good to me and have been honest and I like bringing my cars to them, but you never can be sure that if they end up damaging something that could cost them a couple grand they won't stretch the truth. Eating an oil change and some alignment work is one thing, engine damage is another. Just asking could replacing a front main seal cause an engine to all of a sudden to start knocking and if not is it engine actually shot as they have said and not to drive it as it could go any day. The knock isn't that loud but isn't like a tappet noise but a harder knock...
    Please some feedback...
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 08:53 AM

The knock could be coming from the harmonic balancer not being properly reinstalled, or inadvertently damaged.
    If the sleeve that they installed to fit the seal is interferring with the position of the balancer once mounted, the fastening torque won't be right.
    I would consider taking it to another place that does the same warranty work and let them inspect the other's work.
    BRycraft Posts: 111, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2009, 02:05 PM
    Thank you, I have something to at least go with...
    Bill

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rought idle at start - 97 mercury villager [ 1 Answers ]

Hello friends, We have a 97 mercury villager van, and my wife has been complaining of a rough idle when the van first starts. Irratic RPM's, it would come close to stall, then rev itself past 1000 RPM, then back down. When I get in the van, it seems to run fine. However the check engine light...

Mercury Villager power steering [ 2 Answers ]

I've heard that Amsoil ATF can be used in a power steering system. Is there any problem with mixing the Amsoil with what's already in the system? I need to change the fluid, but don't want to do the full flush procedure. I'm considering the turkey baster way of doing it - emptying the reservoir...

Mercury Villager power window [ 3 Answers ]

I have a '94 Villager and the driver's side power window died. It seems like the switch is active - the rpm needle dips slightly when I push one of the buttons. There is absolutely no action from the motor. The passenger side window is fine as well as both of the rear 'wing' windows. Any ideas...

Whining noise when 98 Mercury villager starts [ 1 Answers ]

I sometimes get a brief shrill whining noise when starting my 1998 Mercury Villager. What should I do? It just started a couple months ago. The car seems to be running fine otherwise.

View more questions Search