Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lynnette34 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2006, 05:18 AM
    Healing Process
    I went to my first counseling session yesterday, and it went well. It was just a bunch of questions about everything (from childhood up to present day) to lay the foundation of where my real problems stem from. As good as I feel about starting the process of mending my marriage, I feel terrible inside. I gave my husband my wedding ring back (he asked for it back), and have vowed to earn it back every day for the rest of my life. I told him that the lies are over, everything is an open book now, and I'll do whatever it takes for however long it takes to prove my commitment to him and our kids. I see the pain I caused him and it kills me a little every day. He's distant with the kids, he spends a lot of time alone, and he is constantly mulling all of this over in his head. He's in a lot of pain, and he looks at me like he's disgusted with me even being around. How could I do this to him? He is such a caring and fun person, to see him like this and to know that I caused it is almost unbearable. I can't sleep. I can't eat. I try to be there for my kids, but it's hard to function. He asked what I though about taking a polygraph test, and I agreed to do whatever it would take to start earning that trust back. Between this situation, the high level of stress at work and the issues that I'm working on with my mom, I'm a nervous wreck. I want to be close to my husband but he says he needs his space. What is my next step? Do I let him approach me when he wants, or should I try to approach him? I want him to know I want to work on this, but the look in his eyes feels like he wants nothing more with me. I deserve all of this, but what else should I do?
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2006, 05:21 AM
    Well you broke his heart. His heart is in pieces. You now have to prove to him that you are willing to change, you will do whatever it takes. It is down to you to fix the pieces of his heart back together.

Give him space because he asked for it, but on the otherhand let him know that you are always there.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Sep 1, 2006, 03:01 PM
    People are really pretty good at sensing significant changes in people they have been close to... and responding accordingly. But this is all still so new to everyone. I would give him the space he requested since he may still be reeling and will need that to heal. It is good that you have had your first meeting with a professional. It is very important that you continue to work on you. It may take a while before anyone trusts that you are telling the truth -- it's their timeframe, not yours, frankly. I would suggest you reframe one thing and not be saying the lies are over as much as you are committed to tell the truth, it is a more healing approach for everyone and not just a matter of "good spin". If you find yourself with too much time on your hands as the result of everyone backing off, use it constructively. Get into the recovery process more by journaling or reading related books or even get some long awaited projects done -- constructive solitary time is needed to rebuilt you too. Time... takes time.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2006, 04:41 PM
    Continue on with the counseling sessions. Also you may try to find more constructive ways of dealing with the stress from your job and dealing with your mother. Take things slow with your husband for now. Things should improve as you proceed on with the counseling and deal with your problems head-on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which Vitamins promote healing? [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if you could tell me which Vitamins or Supplements are known to promote healing?

Self Healing Hardware [ 3 Answers ]

For the second time in five years my hardware has healed it self.This time my year old cell phone was taken to my retailer.I told them it froze and I could not make calls. The tech told me it could not be fixed,A few days ago I recharged the phone and it now works The phone is no longer online but...

Is this the normal healing process? [ 7 Answers ]

Heyy everyone! Well its been a little bit since I posted on here. Lately I have been having a really difficult time moving on from my past relationship- as most of you might know, my boyfriend dumped me after 2 years together. We had planned a future, talked about marriage and the love was...

Healing Sores fast [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter has bug bites and she won't stop picking them, long enough for them to heal up, the scars are getting bad! I have tried alomost every thing, need some help here please to get rid of the open wounds and start to heal the scars fast!

Destressing, cleansing, healing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello to Everyone.. I'm interested to pick up and share some good practices to help enjoy life more. At the moment, things which I've found have helped are hot baths with about 3 table spoons of sea salt added, having a clean and tidy home, and sometimes if I really don't feel right I try...

View more questions Search