Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aditya999 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 08:40 PM
    ITIN documentation
    Hi, I've been on H1 since several years. I got married in Feb 2008 and my wife is on H4. She came to U.S in May 2008 and since then living with me in California.

My filing status on W2 is 'married' and I want to file 2008 returns jointly with my wife.
    She doesn't have an SSN. So, I want to file W-7 for an ITIN and had few questions related to it.

1.Can I get her passport copy notarized from any authorized notary in U.S?
    2.Will both state and federal returns have my spouse SSN/ITIN blank?
    2.Do I have to attach both my state and federal returns to W-7 and mail to address shown on W-7 ? Or do I mail state return (without her SSN and without W-7) separately to California FTB and mail the federal return (with W-7 and without her SSN) to IRS?
    3.Other than notarized copy of her passport is there any thing else I need to attach to W-7?
    Thanks in advance for your help
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2009, 09:52 PM

1. Yes
    2. File W7 along with your File federal return. When you get ITIN file state return. Meanwhile apply for state extension.
    3. No.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 11, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Actually, you CAN file the California return without your wife's ITIN. California will just request that you send them the ITIN when you finally get it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Documentation with form 982 [ 2 Answers ]

I'm claiming insolvency. I called the IRS about 4000 times and finally was told that all I have to do is set up a sheet with my assets vs liabilities proving negative worth at the time of debt settlements. (credit cards) They said not to send the 1099c's with my taxes.(good thing cause the...

I-9 Documentation [ 2 Answers ]

What is the law regarding I-9 verification? Is the employer required to keep a copy of the documents provided?

GAL and Documentation [ 1 Answers ]

We have a GAL. For many, many years, I was always told to document, document, document, well I document, document, document like it is going out of style. Seriously, I have almost made this a part time job doing all this documenting. I am documenting all the occurrences my ex does with my kids,...

Portuguese documentation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... my name is Abida,I currently stay in zimbabwe,my father was Portuguese Goan. I would like to rec laim my fathers citizenship for myself and family. I have lost my fathers birth cirtificate and all documentation relating to this. Could you please assist me in obtainig these documents in...

View more questions Search