Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jordan1989 Posts: 48, Reputation: -1

Mar 18, 2009, 07:48 PM
    Spring Equinox March 17?
    The spring equinox is supposed to be on March 21, but by definition of an equinox, it's the day when the time from sunrise to sunset is exactly 12 hours. And according to the Weather Channel website, that day was yesterday (March 17).

Daily Averages for Livonia, MI (48150) - weather.com

Here you see that March 17 is the first day where the day is longer than the night.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 03:56 AM

Firstly, the vernal equinox occurs on the 20th of March this year. (and for many years to come).

Secondly, your definition of equinox is wrong. An equinox is defined as the time at which the center of the sun is directly over the equator. (this year the vernal equinox is at 11:44, 20th March UTC.)

If the sun were a point source of light, then you would be right, the day should be 12 hours long. However the sun is a disc, as such it takes 12 hours between the center of the sun appearing and disappearing, however sunrise and sunset (and therefore the length of the day) are defined as when any part of the sun appears or disappears (when light directly from the sun hits ground level) - so in reality the day is always slightly longer than 12 hours on the equinoxes.

Remember that the equinox is not defined by the length of day, but by the position of the sun.

Hopes this helps to clear up your confusion! Let me know if you have any further questions.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 19, 2009, 04:32 AM
    Dear Capuchin

An equinox is defined as the time at which the center of the sun is directly over the equator. (this year the vernal equinox is at 11:44, 20th March UTC.)
    True, but I suggest a slightly different description : that an equinox results from the tilt of the earth's axis against our orbit around the sun, and occurs when the center of the sun is directly over the equator.

The result is the same, but indicates that the variance is not related to the sun, but to the direction of the earth axis in our solar orbit.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 06:37 AM

One other point - the published times of sunrise and sunset also take into account the fact that refraction of light through the atmosphere makes it so that you see the sun even when it is a degree or so below the horizon. This refraction can actually add several additional minutes to the length of daylight, compared to what it would be if there was no atmosphere. Hence sunrise times are a minute or two earlier than you might think based purely on geometry, and sunset is a minute or two later.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sarnian View Post
    Dear Capuchin

True, but I suggest a slightly different description : that an equinox results from the tilt of the earth's axis against our orbit around the sun, and occurs when the center of the sun is directly over the equator.

The result is the same, but indicates that the variance is not related to the sun, but to the direction of the earth axis in our solar orbit.
    Maybe, from the sun's point of view ;D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2006 Chevy Equinox A/C not blowing? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox and after driving for about 15 minutes the air conditioner almost completely stops blowing. I can here it trying to come out and it sounds like it is restricted somehow. Sometimes no air comes out at all. But I can hear it trying and little white specks come flying...

Spring Equinox March 17? [ 4 Answers ]

The spring equinox is supposed to be on March 21, but by definition of an equinox, it's the day when the time from sunrise to sunset is exactly 12 hours. And according to the Weather Channel website, that day occurs tomorrow (March 17). Daily Averages for Livonia, MI (48150) - weather.com ...

It's March and I haven't had a period since September. [ 2 Answers ]

So, I got off my birth control (Yaz) in August 2007 because it started to make me sick. (Chest pains, mood swings, fluctuation in appetite/weight, etc.) And since late September, I haven't had a menstrual period. Also, I've been having a strange white discharge since then as well. What should...

F-1 Jan-March 07 and became an H1-B since March 07 [ 1 Answers ]

I'm single, and I have more than the 180 something days that the presence test requires. I think I can fill form 1040EZ because H1B holders pay taxes like a normal resident. So my question is, can I use form 1040EZ for my taxes, or which form do I need? What if I was working from Jan to...

Bangkok in March [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I heard about the military coup that happened last year in Thailand. Since then, I have not kept myself updated with the political situation in the country. Now I am planning to travel to Bangkok on March 2008. I know that weather-wise, the temperature is warmer than Feb. but not as...

View more questions Search