Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    satyasaid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Filing status and ITIN numbers
    Hello,

I am new to filing taxes in US. I am on H1b visa, and working here from Jan 2008, I worked in 2 States(GA,IL) . My family joined me in Oct
    I met a tax consultant and explained my situation.

He has filed my taxes with the status as single and asked me to apply for the ITIN numbers for my family. Once we get the ITIN numbers he said we can amend and change the status. And file jointly.

My Question is, is this the right process.. some of my friends said we have to file jointly to apply for the ITIN numbers.

Please suggest. If this is not the right way can I caorrect this anyway.

Thanks
    Satya
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 08:53 AM

No, you do not need to file return as single and then amend you return.

You can file joint return as residents and attach W7 (ITIN applicaiton) with your tax return.
    satyasaid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 09:11 AM

Mukta,

Thanks for the reply. My tax consultant has already filed my taxes as Single status. What can I do now.
    Can I sumit W7 forms with the Single Return which is already filed.
    PLease suggest.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 12, 2009, 11:23 AM
    If the SINGLE return has already been submitted, file an amendment (Form 1040X) and submit the Forms W-7 to get the ITINs with the amendment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

Itin numbers [ 1 Answers ]

I know somebody that needs to file his taxes but iwanted to make sure what form he needs to use. And in the form in case of social security number can he put his itin number

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

How to get ITIN numbers for family members with H-2B visa? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everybody, My friend was here on an H-2B visa for 8 months in 2006. He is married with two kids. He supposes to file RESIDENT federal tax return based on IRS present test. (More than 183 days in USA) My question is: How he can get an ITIN number for his wife and two kids? I know that...

View more questions Search