Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canyonman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2006, 09:42 PM
    Sub panel 40 amp wiring
    I have a 70 amp sub panel. I'm trying to figure out how to wire in a 40amp breaker in the sub from the panel in my house. I have two hot wires coming in to separate lugs, one neutral, but the breaker itself has one trip/reset lever yet has two screws on the bottom of the breaker;one on each side. Is this separating the 40amps into two 20 amp feeds?I want to wire up a device that requires 40 amps @120 and has a total of three wires;one hot ,one neutral,one ground. Do I need a different breaker or is there a simple way to
    Solve this issue?
    nonadjustablemind Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2006, 12:01 AM
    OK well I am going to give an answer, but I may need more explaining on your part as to what exactly you are trying to hook up.

The first thing I can tell is that you have a two pole breaker and trying to hook up a device with only one hot. Two pole breakers are for device that require two hots, such as red and black, like on some AC units.

So my advice, off what you posted is to go get a new breaker. A single pole 40 amp breaker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a sub panel [ 6 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement which will have a 60x20 room and a 10x9 bathroom. I'm running 20 amp breakers,12-2 wire, 20 amp outlets. 2 breakers for 20 outlets ( 10 outlets a breaker). 1 breaker for 8 2x4 flourecents. 1 breaker for GFI ( for my freazer).

Which panel should I go with? [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings all, I am need of replacing an old Pushmatic Service Panel. The only breakers I can find for it are on e-bay. Plus I need to add a sub-panel in the garage for the new addition my wife wants. (She gets a walk-in closet and a bigger master bathroom with a tub and a separate shower, I get...

GE Panel cat# TRX1612F [ 8 Answers ]

I recently purchased a home, and am hoping to install a hot tub. My breaker panel has the room to install; however, I am not used to a panel without a main breaker, and want to ensure I am not overloading the box. Box rates the mains at 125 amp with #1 copper (although it looks as if I have...

100 amp panel voltage [ 3 Answers ]

When looking for a problem with a double 15 amp circuit breaker, I measure the voltage at the 2 main feeds. One measured 115 volts and the other only 80 volts. Then disconnecting the main feeds from the 100 amp panel they both were 115 volts. My question is if this is caused by a loose neutral wire...

125 amp sub panel [ 5 Answers ]

What size wire do I need to pull for a 125 amp sub panel. Thank you

View more questions Search