Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    handy123 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Remove outdoor carpet glue from concrete patio
    I want to install porcelain tile on my concrete patio.
    I removed the indoor outdoor carpet with no problem.
    Is there any way to remove the yellow/brown color glue.
    Tried a 4" grinder but it just makes the glue soft and makes a mess
    On the grinding wheel.
    Tried a scraper with no luck.
    Should I use a glue remover solvent,and if I do will the thin set
    Still bond to the cement.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2009, 09:06 PM

Have you tried a strong pressure washer yet?
    How about a heat gun and a scraper to get the thick spots off and the pressure wash?

Another option is evaporating paint thinner after that for the residue and it should attack the glue. The thinner comes in grades as far as how quick it evaporates. This would not soak into the concrete as much. I get my thinner at an auto body paint supply house for the different grades.

Use a detergent to pressure wash

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 07:38 AM

Removing adhesive has to be the worst job in the world, I hate it. Remodeling I have had to scrap a 20x15 concrete floor with a 4" razor. Exterior concrete is far to rough to use a razor and you may need to buy something more industrial. I have seen stuff l;ike this at Menards and HD. Sealflex. (First look: the newest products for the remodeling market). | Chemicals > Specialty Chemicals Industry from AllBusiness.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remove outdoor carpet glue? [ 5 Answers ]

I have removed old indoor/outdoor carpet from a cement porch. I have removed most of the glue but am having trouble removing all of it. I have used a metal scraper and also a floor sander. The glue is about 90% gone. The cement is smooth with the glue but it looks yucky. Also there are marks...

Poured Concrete Steps on Concrete Patio [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently had a large portion of my driveway torn out/replaced, a 12 x 18 patio poured, and 3 half moons steps poured, all of 6 bag mix concrete. The flatwork looks great, virtually flawless. The steps, on the other hand, don't. After removing the forms/frame for the three...

Remove carpet pad tape from concrete? [ 6 Answers ]

Any advice on the best way to remove the carpet pad tape from concrete floor? I would like to paint and seal the floor but must get the tape and paint drops/overspray off first. Thanks!

Removal of carpet glue before tiling [ 2 Answers ]

Do I need to remove the old carpet glue from the concrete slab before I begin the tiling process

View more questions Search