Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jekabby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 11:00 AM
    Deductive Thinking: the 3 geniuses and the hats
    Three geniuses stand in a file (one behind the other). Each can see only to the front, so the rear person can see the middle and the front, the middle person can see the front, and the genius in the front cannot see anyone.
    You have five hats. Two are white, and three are red. You blindfold the three geniuses, who are utterly truthful, and put a hat – at random – on the head of each. Then you hide the other two hats and remove the blindfolds.
    You then ask each genius to name the color of his hat (which he cannot see).
    The rear one says "I don't know." The middle on says, "I don't know." Then the front one says, "I know."
    WHAT COLOR IS THE FRONT GENIUS' HAT??
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 10:49 AM

This one was discussed ad nauseum here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/philos...ing-95150.html

The answer is red.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Deductive thinking [ 24 Answers ]

Deductive thinking is thinking that leads us to a conclusion with certainty. Logic puzzles and problems (like the one below) require deductive reasoning. See if you can use your powers of deductive reasoning to figure out what color the front genius’ hat is. Post not only your answer, but your...

Deductive logic [ 3 Answers ]

Why is deductive logic also called symbolic logic and mathematical logic.

Hi Hats [ 2 Answers ]

I have a line voltage hi hat in my kitchen that keeps blowing 50 watt bulbs, its rated for 50w max,115v

High hats [ 2 Answers ]

how far do space high hats in ceiling 25x14

High patrol hats [ 2 Answers ]

I really didn't know what category this should be in, but this looked as good as any. You will probably think this is weird, but so what. It bothers me. Those hat that most state troopers wear ( Smokey the Bear Hats) ; they are always three fourths of the way up the back of their heads with that...

View more questions Search